Calibre Recommendations

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Calibre Recommendations

#11 Post by bradaz11 »

m1 carbine?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

Ohhh, that’s a good shout, Stuart! There’s one floating around the forums at the minute.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#13 Post by Pippin89 »

bradaz11 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:39 pmm1 carbine?
Thanks. I did notice the .30 carbine when I was looking for a calibre that was slow enough but really I am looking for something a bit more modern.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

more modern than what? 9mm? it is lol.

m1 carbines are nice simple guns, reliable in straightpull and m1 carbine is very well suited to 100 yrd work and so will be accurate, on top of that nice and cheap to feed too.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

.30 Carbine is a caliber that could be a perfect gallery short range job for the U.K. Lead bullets and half a dozen grains of pistol powder for out to 50, then some jacketed out to 300. Easy on the pocket, ears and shoulder!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#16 Post by DaveB »

If you are willing to think outside of pistol calibres, how about 300 Blackout? If you buy the sub-sonic loads you will be well under the velocity limit. The 300 BO is a surprisingly accurate cartridge, as it can be bought loaded with .308 match bullets. Howa has a relatively inexpensive bolt action available with heavy barrel and their Mini action. I have one and it shoots very well indeed.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#17 Post by Pippin89 »

DaveB wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:01 pm If you are willing to think outside of pistol calibres, how about 300 Blackout? If you buy the sub-sonic loads you will be well under the velocity limit. The 300 BO is a surprisingly accurate cartridge, as it can be bought loaded with .308 match bullets. Howa has a relatively inexpensive bolt action available with heavy barrel and their Mini action. I have one and it shoots very well indeed.
That may be a way to go. I did look at it previously but didn't notice the subsonic ammo available. Would give me the ability to change ammo if I want to shoot it somewhere else too.
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#18 Post by Mike95 »

You can download with many calibres other than the big ones.. 45/70 577 etc. You have to use the right powder and understand the process of downloading.. my home range has mv 2148 fps and me of 1498... no problem with many calibres.... the Lyman reloading handbook is useful.. main use for cast bullets of course. The H and N plated bullets are very useful for downloading but currently not available.

Mike95