Lee APP thingy

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Lee APP thingy

#21 Post by Alpha1 »

The after market handle is a better option I am able to use any make of die on it now including the NDFS neck expander with out altering any thing. Fitting the replacement handle is a faff on. Its starting to get sloppy I noticed the two pillars the ram moves up and down on are working loose you can turn them by hand. I will remove the press from the base plate and fit some better quality lock nuts. I have removed the spring and shell holder tensioner this allows the shell holder to float and it seems to work better with out it. Some body on a different forum had tried this and got good results. The Jury is out on this one.

teanews Whats next. Primer pocket swaging of military cases both large and small and resizing 7.62x39 cases. (Not spending any more money on it)
Alpha1

#22 Post by Alpha1 »

To date:
I spent some more money on it.

I have sized cast bullets on it it chomps them up and spits them out at a rapid state of knots. Setting the drop tubes and feed arm is a chew on. NOE moulds in America make some good addons for the APP if you are into cast bullet shooting.
I have full length sized and de primed .38 special. Setting up the feed tubes and the feed arm is a right chew on. But once its set up it it spits a case out every pull on the handle.
I have seated .38 special bullets on it this no quicker than using a standard single stage press.
I have full length sized and de primed some .308 cases some 7.62x39 cases and sized some 6.5 Creedmoor cases using a Redding body die. The feed system is the issue with anything you do on this press.
I have swaged small and large primer pockets on it. Setting up the feed tubes and feeder arm is a chew on.
The Lee collet neck die does not work on this press.
The whole thing is rattling like a penny in a biscuit tin the rams that the body of the press runs on are both loose you can turn them by hand and they move up and down when cycling the press.
I will dismantle it and rebuild it with proper lock nuts and high tensile bolts. I have an idea how to make quick change feed tube fittings and feeder arms that I am going to try.

Would I recommend it no don't waste your money. With the money I have spent I could of bought a quality cast press. I all ready have quality cast presses. This is just a bit of fun and stops me getting bored.
Alpha1

#23 Post by Alpha1 »

I ordered and received a two die set of Hornady reloading dies for the 6.5 Creedmoor a full length sizer and seater die. I tried using them on the APP a total failure. The APP is good for prepping straight wall cases which is what it is designed for after all and sizing cast bullets. I will use it for reloading .38 special and sizing cast bullets. I am done playing with it.

teanews hmm whats next. Dont know I need another project this one has run its course.