Accuracy Of Vintage Rimfires ?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Accuracy Of Vintage Rimfires ?

#11 Post by FredB »

I shoot my .22 comps with a Greener Miniature Club martini made before ww1. Where a magazine is required, I have a 1933 manufactured BSA pump action. Both of these guns are competitive in any off-hand competition and will group in to 1" at 50yds when bench rested properly. The old pump action is sensitive to where you rest it---it likes the barrel assembley left free and un-supported. Both guns are ammo sensitive. The Greener likes Eley Match and the pump likes CCI standard.
Fred
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#12 Post by ukrifleman »

I have a Mk1 Martini International that is superbly accurate and has won me a few club comp medals.
It has a `Parker rifled` barrel and unusually, has a thumbhole stock.
A brilliant piece of kit.
(Adam will know this rifle!)
ukrifleman
majex45
Home club or Range: Hastings

#13 Post by majex45 »

I agree with the above comments.
The BSA Supersort Five is a very underated rifle. It is basically a Century with a lighter barrel in a sporter stock. The main drawback is you need a gunsmith to fit a scope sight and this would then negate any collector's interest. I know where there is one for sale but it doesn't have a magazine (which is not the same as the Sportsman 5).
The Sportsman 5 or 15 is no slouch in the accuracy stakes but the bolt cocks on closing so it's a bit wearing to shoot a lot.
I once shot 3 consecutive possibles with my BSA MK II international (heavy barrel) benchrest using Match and it still produces possibles from time to time.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#14 Post by Pete »

Don't forget the 12/15, my first "proper" rifle....

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#15 Post by Pippin89 »

Old Anschutz Match 54's are as accurate as they come. My main club is a very serious target rifle club and we have about 25-30 guns, about half of which are 40-50 year old (and older) Anschutz. All are capable of shooting 100's off a sling with diopter's in the right hands.
Graham M

#16 Post by Graham M »

Pippin89 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:21 am Old Anschutz Match 54's are as accurate as they come. My main club is a very serious target rifle club and we have about 25-30 guns, about half of which are 40-50 year old (and older) Anschutz. All are capable of shooting 100's off a sling with diopter's in the right hands.
Not quite. Over the years the bolt saddle can wear a little and require a shim to make up the loss. I used to have a 3thou shim in the rifle, but when I took it into the Anschutz tent at Bisley the chap there replaced the saddle (all free in those days) and returned the headspace back to 42thou. My 1913 that I bought new in 88 is now 35 years old and now has a 2thou shim installed which takes the headspace back to 42thou again. Without this the rifle tended to have a vertical shift of an inch or so over 100yds. Only 1/4 inch over 25yds but enough to bugger up a good score.
As for old BSA's, the barrels on these old rifles was quite often better than the Anschutz's and would easily shoot as good if not better. The thing that caused their demise was that they looked old fashioned and didn't have all the bells and whistles of the German rifles.
At 72 my shooting isn't what it was, using a dioptre and shooting glasses, but I am still putting in mid to upper 90s (haven't seen a poss for a couple of years now) but anyone with a scope and a steady hand would find any sort of match rifle ideal for bench-rest. :good:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

#17 Post by Itskeith »

Good to know thanks Graham (just started Benchrest with an old Anschutz).
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have restored and shot and owned many Vickers and BSA pre-war rifles as well as later Internationals and German stuff. My favourite remains a battered pre war Model 15 that was given to me a few years ago. I shot it at 20 yards, 50 metres and 100 yards and LSR. The Model 15 has been balanced somewhat to help offhand shooting and I have removed the front rail and inlaid a piece of walnut since the picture was taken.

I am hoping to return to shooting with this rifle next year.
Attachments
BSA.jpg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Graham M

#19 Post by Graham M »

We have one of those at the club.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
majex45
Home club or Range: Hastings

#20 Post by majex45 »

I went back to the dealer about the Supersport 5 but is has gone...to the police for destruction! Along wth a 12/15 and about 50 other shotguns & rifles. AAAAAAgh!