Mauser scope

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

steve853
Home club or Range: North Coates Butts

Re: Mauser scope

#11 Post by steve853 »

Hi all
My Mauser is a beautiful early Obendorf 98, but the barrel was shot out. I have had it re barrelled by a seriously good restorer, and I have the barrel for historical value. If I could find an original scope and mount for a reasonable price I’d have it drilled but I’m reluctant to get it done for a reproduction

The eye pal looks like a good idea, I’ll get one and see
England Prevails
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#12 Post by GeeRam »

steve853 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:53 pm Hi all
My Mauser is a beautiful early Obendorf 98, but the barrel was shot out. I have had it re barrelled by a seriously good restorer, and I have the barrel for historical value. If I could find an original scope and mount for a reasonable price I’d have it drilled but I’m reluctant to get it done for a reproduction
Original mil scopes do turn up although not cheap....but you have to be wary of expensive faked ones from eastern europe.
Original scope mounts on the other hand very rarely turnup, and a unicorn matching original mount and scope, would make you re-barrel cost look like small change.

Pre-war commercial scopes are cheaper and more available, although they lack they the elevation dial range marks as seen on the military scopes, but they are not incorrect because of the lack of scopes in '42 which resulted in a procedure put in place to confiscate scopes from civilians and use them in production of low turret snipers and short side rail snipers. Civilians were reimbursed for their scope and the rings. So putting on a pre-war commercial scope using a repro SSR or low turret mount is a correct option. All depends on what you want?
The sight picture on the K98k iron sights is particularly bad with ageing dodgy eyes, compared to say, a Lee-Enfield.
steve853

#13 Post by steve853 »

I had a good chat with the restorer and he’s recommended that I get an original ZF41 scope if one comes up for sale, and not to bother with the reproduction ones as they’re poor quality. I had a good look at his scoped Mausers and I actually quite like the 41, it gives a nice sight picture.
I have ordered a reproduction mount, and I’m thinking about getting a pistol scope with a long eye relief to use on that while I wait patiently (not) for a decent scope to appear from the ether
England Prevails
GeeRam

#14 Post by GeeRam »

steve853 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:00 am I had a good chat with the restorer and he’s recommended that I get an original ZF41 scope if one comes up for sale, and not to bother with the reproduction ones as they’re poor quality. I had a good look at his scoped Mausers and I actually quite like the 41, it gives a nice sight picture.
I have ordered a reproduction mount, and I’m thinking about getting a pistol scope with a long eye relief to use on that while I wait patiently (not) for a decent scope to appear from the ether
Can you cancel the reproduction mount order?

D&B have an original scope and original mount pairing currently for sale here....(and generally original mounts tend to come up for sale often with scopes, so no need to order a repro mount on its own)

Link to D&B scope and mount here:

https://www.dandbmilitaria.com/zf41-sco ... mount-3-a5

They are a bugger to zero though lol
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#15 Post by Alpha1 »

GeeRam wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:56 pm
steve853 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:00 am I had a good chat with the restorer and he’s recommended that I get an original ZF41 scope if one comes up for sale, and not to bother with the reproduction ones as they’re poor quality. I had a good look at his scoped Mausers and I actually quite like the 41, it gives a nice sight picture.

D&B have an original scope and original mount pairing currently for sale here....(and generally original mounts tend to come up for sale often with scopes, so no need to order a repro mount on its own)

Don't forget you will also probably need to pay some one to fit it. That's no small change to fit a scope to a Milsurp rifle.
GeeRam

#16 Post by GeeRam »

Alpha1 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:02 pm
GeeRam wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:56 pm

Don't forget you will also probably need to pay some one to fit it. That's no small change to fit a scope to a Milsurp rifle.
The ZF41 install isn't quite as involved as a normal drill and tap type mounting where critical scope collimation setup is needed. The German field armourers were able to fit them in the field in fact, from supplied parts.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

I have a ZF41 mounted on a BSA Sportsman 5.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
steve853

#18 Post by steve853 »

Thanks guys, I shall attempt to buy it, website seems to be out of order at the moment so I will keep trying!
Steve
England Prevails