Fortmeier over the top bipod Versus the Shooting Shed Stottebien F/TR Bipod

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Fortmeier over the top bipod Versus the Shooting Shed Stottebien F/TR Bipod

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I purchased both versions of these bipods pre Covid I only got to use them yesterday. I had a 100 yard range slot. So I thought I would have a play.
The Shooting Shed Stotteben was fitted to a Steyr SSG in .308. This rifle has been slicked and tricked and will shoot the middle out of the target at 100 yards. This bipod is normally used by F Class or Target Rifle shooters and after using it I can understand why.
The only problem I had was the Steyr had been fitted with a after market stud to allow a Harris bipod to be fitted and I didn't have the tools to remove it. But I will be removing it and in future it will be used with the Shooting shed offering.
The bipod offers a very stable platform and once the rifle is set up with a suitable back bag will shoot small groups all day. If you shoot long distance precision I recommend you get one.

The Fortmeier was fitted to a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor for testing I found the MLOC fittings not very positive a bit iffy. It took a bit of work to actually get the bipod to lock into place. I eventually got the bipod sorted but it took a while.
I spent most of the morning messing with the Fortmeier. Once I got it sorted I was shooting some impressive groups.
If I could fit the Shooting Sheds Offering to my Ruger Precision I would.
The Gun Pimp

Re: Fortmeier over the top bipod Versus the Shooting Shed Stottebien F/TR Bipod

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

The Fortmeier is a great 'tactical' (i.e folding) bi-pod but you would never use it on an FTR comp gun - if you were serious about winning! But, as always - horses for courses.
Struggling to understand your problem fitting the Fortmeier to your Ruger Precision though - it just clamps on the top Pic rail.......
Geek
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#3 Post by Geek »

This is how my Fortmeier bipod attaches to my RPR (although it was called Phoenix Tactical when I bought it).
Attachments
RPR bipod.png
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

The Gun Pimp wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:10 am The Fortmeier is a great 'tactical' (i.e folding) bi-pod but you would never use it on an FTR comp gun - if you were serious about winning! But, as always - horses for courses.
Struggling to understand your problem fitting the Fortmeier to your Ruger Precision though - it just clamps on the top Pic rail.......
he couldn't get the adapter I seem to recall
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Oh no! I got mine from Spud around the same time but I thought Alpha got his from Europe.....
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

Geek wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:49 pm This is how my Fortmeier bipod attaches to my RPR (although it was called Phoenix Tactical when I bought it).
I did eventually manage to get the spigot. My set up is the same as the picture. The issue I had was probably due to this being the first time I have used it the spigot M loc fitting was loose and I did not have the spigot fully inserted as it should have been. The rifle was rocking all over the place and groups were terrible. One of my shooting buddies who is familiar with the set up confiscated my rifle and told me to naff off and grab a sarni and a mug of tea so I did.
After refreshments were taken I reclaimed the rifle shot at a rabbit hole in the sand bank to see were my fall of shot was. Then went back on target and not a lot of clicks later I was shooting the small groups the 6.5 Creedmoor is famous for.
What did surprise me is the fact that the bipod is hung off the top of the rail but it has no detrimental affect on the scope picture.

The Steyr on the other hand was rock solid the only down side was the ZF scope that the Steyr is normally fitted with I think its goosed its past its sell by date I think it does not seem to be tracking any more. So a new scope is going to be fitted to the Steyr for our next outing and the ZF is probably going to be binned or offered for spares. We will see. So we are looking at Scopes any suggestions recommendations.
Geek
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#7 Post by Geek »

Alpha1 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:09 pm
Geek wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:49 pm This is how my Fortmeier bipod attaches to my RPR (although it was called Phoenix Tactical when I bought it).
I did eventually manage to get the spigot. My set up is the same as the picture. The issue I had was probably due to this being the first time I have used it the spigot M loc fitting was loose and I did not have the spigot fully inserted as it should have been. The rifle was rocking all over the place and groups were terrible. One of my shooting buddies who is familiar with the set up confiscated my rifle and told me to naff off and grab a sarni and a mug of tea so I did.
After refreshments were taken I reclaimed the rifle shot at a rabbit hole in the sand bank to see were my fall of shot was. Then went back on target and not a lot of clicks later I was shooting the small groups the 6.5 Creedmoor is famous for.
What did surprise me is the fact that the bipod is hung off the top of the rail but it has no detrimental affect on the scope picture.

The Steyr on the other hand was rock solid the only down side was the ZF scope that the Steyr is normally fitted with I think its goosed its past its sell by date I think it does not seem to be tracking any more. So a new scope is going to be fitted to the Steyr for our next outing and the ZF is probably going to be binned or offered for spares. We will see. So we are looking at Scopes any suggestions recommendations.
The first scope I had on the RPR was a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 SFP (MOA reticle) and my son shot this from 100 to 1000yards, he has also won a number of factory benchrest small group patches (600/1000 yards), hit the egg (500 yards) and fly (500 yards) at Diggle competitions . In my opinion a very good scope for the money. However, now run a different scope (S&B), also added a a muzzle brake and a titanium bolt shroud.
Attachments
RPR Sighton scope.png
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S