No4 NGS mount.

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

RJ156

Re: No4 NGS mount.

#11 Post by RJ156 »

Also, cannot fit the bolt…….

The top rib of the bolt head hits the securing part above mentioned.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#12 Post by bradaz11 »

I'm sure Ive seen people say with some brands of these type of mounts, you cannot remove the bolt with it fitted, so I'm not sure thats a bad fit, just a bad design.
I do not have a no4 or a mount though so I could be wrong
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

#13 Post by JS569 »

Not quite the same as mine is on a No1, but I had to file a little bit of metal off the mount in order to get the bolt in and out.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#14 Post by GeeRam »

bradaz11 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:44 am I'm sure Ive seen people say with some brands of these type of mounts, you cannot remove the bolt with it fitted, so I'm not sure thats a bad fit, just a bad design.
I do not have a no4 or a mount though so I could be wrong
You can't remove the bolt from a No.4T sniper rifle either with the scope in place, you have to remove the scope (which no service sniper liked doing, and neither do many civilian owners) so some there was a mod to the rear sight, that ground off the undersize into a similar half moon shape as the flip battle sights, so the bolt could be removed without removing the scope, although documented, very few have ever been seen on a 4T.
I have seen a few civvie owned 4T's with the sight removed, or the flip battle sight fitted in place of the original sight, so bolt can be removed with removing scope. I intend doing the same with my 4T as well.
RJ156

#15 Post by RJ156 »

Yeah I got sorted

The wedge nut needed a little buzz on the belt sander.

All good now!
pigsy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Bisley

#16 Post by pigsy »

Yes. It feels like it’s pulling the Allen screw at an odd angle. Had the same worry as you and was concerned that it may damage the receiver/ charging bridge. However, I just nipped it up without any loctite and not had any issues.
RJ156

#17 Post by RJ156 »

pigsy wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:53 pm Yes. It feels like it’s pulling the Allen screw at an odd angle. Had the same worry as you and was concerned that it may damage the receiver/ charging bridge. However, I just nipped it up without any loctite and not had any issues.
Yeah, that was just it! Was more the bolt fitting issue annoyed me tbh.

Got there now!