Proposed HSE lead ban

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Proposed HSE lead ban

#21 Post by Alpha1 »

38Super wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:25 pm Anyone aware of any lead free possibilities for .38/357 or .44 for the gallery rifles?
Yes but you will not be able to shoot them on any indoor range.
The Gun Pimp

#22 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:37 pm I noticed Henry kranks are advertising lead free PPU .308 bullets for sale. They are expensive compared to the lead jacketed equivalents. Just another way to screw us. I may purchase a 100 to see how they perform for target work.
Good job Alpha - let us know how you get on.

In addition to the solid 308 match bullets, we tested some solid copper UK-made 6.5 hunting bullets (large hole in tip) and they were grouping half MOA at 300 yds.
Alpha1

#23 Post by Alpha1 »

The Gun Pimp wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:12 am
Alpha1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:37 pm I noticed Henry kranks are advertising lead free PPU .308 bullets for sale. They are expensive compared to the lead jacketed equivalents. Just another way to screw us. I may purchase a 100 to see how they perform for target work.
Good job Alpha - let us know how you get on.

In addition to the solid 308 match bullets, we tested some solid copper UK-made 6.5 hunting bullets (large hole in tip) and they were grouping half MOA at 300 yds.
I give up I have tried ordering the solids of Henry kranks web site as well as some other stuff. The site is pap I gave up before I ended up tearing my hair out whats left of it. I don,t need the hassle if any one knows of any other UK supplier of solids in .308 and 6.5 let me know I am happy to give them my business. **** **** **** ****
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#24 Post by Plumose »

Dauntsey Guns are showing a range of different makes in both 30 cal and 6.5mm, probably best giving them a call or email as otherwise you have to go through the size, then the make and then the options of weight/design before you can see if they are in stock.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Graham M

#25 Post by Graham M »

Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Alpha1

#26 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks for the link. WOW they are expensive. It prompted me to have another go on Kranks web site. I created a new account and low and behold every thing went through with no issues. So the Lead free bullets are in the post. They only have .308 but they will do for now.
I would like to get my hands on some 6.5 lead free as well for testing purposes I will keep looking.
I will check out Dauntsey Guns and see what they have on offer.
MetalMagus
Home club or Range: Oop Norf....on a need to know basis

#27 Post by MetalMagus »

Alpha1, Interested to understand, are you intending to use the lead free on a MOD range or a private range. I keep finding conflicting information. But the last I saw from the NRA was that the use of lead free on MOD ranges is not allowed. This was from 2021. Is anyone aware if this has changed?
The Gun Pimp

#28 Post by The Gun Pimp »

MetalMagus wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:18 am Alpha1, Interested to understand, are you intending to use the lead free on a MOD range or a private range. I keep finding conflicting information. But the last I saw from the NRA was that the use of lead free on MOD ranges is not allowed. This was from 2021. Is anyone aware if this has changed?
No - but I've got a feeling it will.....
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#29 Post by phaedra1106 »

As far as I'm aware solid projectiles are not allowed on MoD ranges as they perform differently to jacketed and therefore are capable of exiting the range safety template area.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#30 Post by GeeRam »

phaedra1106 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:30 pm As far as I'm aware solid projectiles are not allowed on MoD ranges as they perform differently to jacketed and therefore are capable of exiting the range safety template area.
Plus, given the MOD will be exempt from the ban, they won't be changing/adapting their ranges to suit it either.

The cynical will cite that as another reason to make it easier to stop civvie's using MOD ranges should the lead ban come into force.