US Model of 1917

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

PeterN

US Model of 1917

#1 Post by PeterN »

A friend said he wanted to downsize his firearms collection so I said I would help him out. I bought his US Model of 1917 from him. He has had this for 20 years or more. It is a Winchester made example and has been through the refurbishment process at some point. The receiver has been parkerised and it has acquired an Eddystone bolt, numbered to the rifle, but retaining a Winchester cocking piece. It has a 2/19 dated Winchester barrel. The stock is Winchester marked and numbered to the rifle. The upper wood has been replaced at some point as there are the remains of red paint stripes that do not match the red paint marks on the stock. Perhaps the Walmington-on-Sea Home Guard got them mixed up whilst cleaning their rifles in the Church Hall. It came with a Parker Hale 5B target sight. Normally, if this sight is fitted, the issue sight has to be removed as the target sight fouls the battle sight. He wanted to use both, so instead of faffing about changing sights, he bought a spare issue sight and ground off the battle sight. This enables the target sight to be used but also allows for the issue sight to be flipped up to be used also when the top part of the target sight is removed. An interesting point about this rifle is the number. Charles Stratton in the 'for collectors only' book on the P14/M1917 on page 129 gives the highest number observed as 545511 for Winchester made M1917 rifles. This rifle is 1,322 numbers higher. It shoots very well and came with a few hundred cases, mostly once fired. I also have an Eddystone US M1917 but I don't think I have posted about that on here. We bought them at the same time from York Guns when they were in King Street in York. They had a batch of these at the time. A few pics.
US M1917 full right.jpg
US M1917 full left.jpg
US M1917 action top.jpg
Regards
Peter.
PeterN

Re: US Model of 1917

#2 Post by PeterN »

A couple more pics.
US M1917 action right.jpg
US M1917 action left.jpg
It is a nice piece of history.
Regards
Peter.
Graham M

#3 Post by Graham M »

I had a P16 Eddystone that had been re-barrelled to 7.62. Shot very well out to 600yds. Never had the opportunity to shoot out further.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

What a superb looking rifle, I still have a space for one in my virtual cabinet :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Graham M

#5 Post by Graham M »

Last edited by Graham M on Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Graham M

#6 Post by Graham M »

I had a P16 Eddystone that had been re-barrelled to 7.62. Shot very well out to 600yds. Never had the opportunity to shoot out further.
Sorry slipped on the keyboard. That was a P17 :oops:
It was originally 30-06 but was re-barrelled with a Shultz & Larsen barrel in 7.62.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

I have had a couple of P14 teens over the years I still have a place in my cabinet for one. Just need to find the right one at a sensible price.
rufrdr

#8 Post by rufrdr »

One sees a fair number of M1917s with WW2 replaced front handguards as the original issue were cracked in D&C and rough use. The majority of the wood on the rifle will be walnut and the front handguard will be birch. It looks a bit odd but is servicable.

Your Winchester is a nice one!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper