Hand loading

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Hand loading

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

1: Club Secretaries do not sign off SCC cards its the Club Chairman.
2: The idea is that some form of tuition/assessment can be done at club level following guidelines. Yet to be decided AFAIK. No way are Clubs going to sign up to train people how to reload ammunition. Its a mine field.
3: The NRA all ready run reloading training and charge for it. Its a two day course run at Bisley. So they are all ready making money out of it.
4. The MOD dont give a toss about handloading until 3 finger Pete blows his gun up on one of their ranges. I can assure you the MOD does give a toss about hand loaded ammunition.

Some of the things written above are laughable. You need to wise up. Its people like you that will get shooting done away with.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#12 Post by Mattnall »

Alpha1 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:22 pm My local Club will not have anything to do with Reloading training courses because of the legal implications if one of its trainees get it wrong.
Are there any legal implications if one of your full members has an 'incident' after training and probationary course with the club and the chairman signing their SCC?
It would be the exact same implications.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
MistAgain

#13 Post by MistAgain »

Mattnall wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:28 am
Alpha1 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:22 pm My local Club will not have anything to do with Reloading training courses because of the legal implications if one of its trainees get it wrong.
Are there any legal implications if one of your full members has an 'incident' after training and probationary course with the club and the chairman signing their SCC?
It would be the exact same implications.
Between January 2000 and February 2022 17 members of the armed forces died due to live fire training or exercise incidents .

Maybe the armed forces should get their act together first !
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#14 Post by Lever357 »

Our club runs reloading courses for members. The secretary/chairman runs these courses and is very well qualified as he worked in the ammunition manufacturing industry for many years and has been a home loader too. The course is excellent, covers all the basics and has practical demonstrations throughout. The NRA was so impressed they have asked for his presentation slides, etc with a view to rolling it out.
I think it is a good idea as some training is better than none, and yes, put it on the SCC - I have a number of different firearms on my SCC but I haven't been tested in their use either. If someone had an incident with home-loaded ammunition, it should only affect them - so why should a chairman or club official be held responsible??? If I had a malfunction with my rifle using factory ammunition, that would be my fault, not the chairman who said I was a safe shooter with that particular firearm.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#15 Post by Pete »

+1........it's the reloaders' responsibility, no-one elses'.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
flamoudi
Home club or Range: CVPC Ashgill Scotland

#16 Post by flamoudi »

I have run a few reloading "demonstrations" at our club. We all try to avoid liability if someone makes a mistake. In the same way your driving test assessor might, having seen you drive safely on the day.

Signing someone off as competentat the time at something isn't any guarantee against future error. It's whether they can prove you made the mistake in saying they were and then blaming you.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Blackstuff »

Surely a simple disclaimer form to be signed by anyone attending a reloading course would keep the responsibility where it should be, i.e. the person who loaded the ammunition teanews
DVC
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#18 Post by GeeRam »

All very well if a club has its own range and facilities to run a course, but many clubs don't, ours included.
toffe wrapper

#19 Post by toffe wrapper »

As I see it, Its not much different to a driving test.
Does the DVLA examiner get in trouble if a 18 year old knob head kills someone a week after being passed NO.

As Club sec I will be happy to sign off on competency as long as it proved to what ever syllabus prescribed. Buts its not rocket science
Its a 6 step process in its basic form. Yes you can do way more like clean brass but does that make it safer.

Size & de-prime ( FL or Neck)
Clean primer pocket & check case
Trim to length & check
Put in correct primer Check it seated correct
Add correct charge of correct powder
Seat bullet
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#20 Post by Geek »

toffe wrapper wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:56 pm As I see it, Its not much different to a driving test.
Does the DVLA examiner get in trouble if a 18 year old knob head kills someone a week after being passed NO.

As Club sec I will be happy to sign off on competency as long as it proved to what ever syllabus prescribed. Buts its not rocket science
Its a 6 step process in its basic form. Yes you can do way more like clean brass but does that make it safer.

Size & de-prime ( FL or Neck)
Clean primer pocket & check case
Trim to length & check
Put in correct primer Check it seated correct
Add correct charge of correct powder
Seat bullet
I would also add "check overall length" and "adjust bullet seating to desired overall length"
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S