Spray back from moderator

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Spray back from moderator

#21 Post by bradaz11 »

theres pitting and theres pitting. what sort of accuracy were you looking for and at what range? are you trying to compete in comps with it or just have fun?
surely theres something that can be done unless you want 1/4 moa rifle out of it
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Graham M

#22 Post by Graham M »

Shouldn't you have a Delrin bush fitted??
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
squatman86

#23 Post by squatman86 »

@bradaz11 - I've always been limited to 100m, but we've had a couple of days away on a 250m range. I hadn't taken the .308 out in a long time so I was trying to get it geared up for taking to Wales to have a go hopefully up to 1000m. I'd be over the moon if I could hit 50mm steel at the 250m. I'm still pretty s***, but at the 100m I've had some groups around an inch, but I'm currently trying to find some factory ammo the rifle likes and that I can actually get hold of.

@Graham M - I've just found this website and can see what I think you're referring to attached. This never came with mind (used) which is disappointing. I'm wondering if the previous owner discarded it because it didn't fit the varmint barrel?

https://www.gunmart.net/shooting-access ... -moderator

That being said there still shouldn't be gases around the barrel exterior I'm guessing, so I think the poor shape the shoulder/barrel is in is still causing problems.

Thanks both.
Graham M

#24 Post by Graham M »

Could you not remove the barrel and take off the trigger etc and see if you can get the shoulder at the muzzle squared up without taking too much off.
If you lived anywhere near Brum I'm sure Richard Pope would do it for you.
https://www.gunmart.net/shooting-advice ... ion-rifles
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
PeterN

#25 Post by PeterN »

Why not just shoot the rifle without the moderator fitted?
Regards
Peter.
Graham M

#26 Post by Graham M »

Because it's bloody noisy. 8-)
PeterN

#27 Post by PeterN »

Isn't that what ear muffs and plugs are for? Unless there is a noise limit for the range that requires a moderator. None of my centre fire rifles have a moderator. But then, they are almost all ex military historic rifles so not suitable for moderators. I don't have a problem shooting those without a moderator. The only moderator I have is on my .22RF Remington rabbit gun. As for loud, rifles with muzzle brakes are the worst.
Regards
Peter.