Where be all the Muskets

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Tower75

Where be all the Muskets

#1 Post by Tower75 »

Hi, all. Long time no see and speak. How's everyone doing? It's good to be back from a 6+ year hiatus. It's cool to see my Sticky is still here

So, a lil' history; I was actively shooting and writing on this site until about 6-odd years ago when I gave up shooting for various reasons. However, the shooting bug never really left me, and the shooting that I've missed the most is muzzle-loading. I'm about to move to Weird and Wonderful Norfolk soon and it feels like a good time to maybe take it up again. Though this time I'd like to maybe take it simpler and slower than my shooting days before. I'm thinking maybe I get two muskets, max, and join the MLAGB and shoot about once a month, or so.

Now, this won't happen next week, it'll take time to move and get a new FAC and SGC. I'm just putting the feelers out, as it were.

As I'm thinking about 2 muskets total, I think it's sensible to have one smooth-bore and one rifled-musket. Now here's the thing, as I will only have 2 I'd like something a bit odd or dare I say; foreign. I don't want to limit myself to a Uberti Enfield or an Indian-made repro. Are there any muskets out there? Any Prussian, or Austrian, or anything that's a bit odd and cool, something that won't cost £2,000? Or will I have to get an Enfield? I've been out of the game too long to know. I have no idea what the market is like now.

I've tried to search myself but can't find much. Also, where are all the Pedersoli guns? Pedersoli's catalogue is huge, but no one seems to stock them. I remember Henry Krank is/was(?) a stockist for them, but when I was shooting I never got a single email reply from HK, nor would the phone be answered, and their website at the moment is lacking. No disrespect intended but "Stockist" is a bit of an overstatement.
Also, I'm not sure why, but when I ask about Pedersoli I seem to be treated like I'm an 18yo who has just passed his driving licence and is asking for a Ferrari. Pedersoli makes them to sell, but they seem to be unavailable and if you ask about one it's like saying "I want a Baker rifle 'cos I really like Sharpe". wtf

So, any advice, chap and chapesses?

Again, good to be back. Hope everyone's doing well.
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Where be all the Muskets

#2 Post by 1066 »

Unfortunately can't help you with your musket problem but welcome back.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Graham M
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by Graham M »

I was looking at Kranks a while back and he is absolutely out of stock on almost everything.
Give Dromia a shout.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#4 Post by channel12 »

Tower75

#5 Post by Tower75 »

Thank you for the welcome back.

I'll keep my eyes open and see what's around. You never know, something might pop up. I saw a really interesting Swiss percussion musket, but it was a bit beat up.

How's the stock of Pyrodex and real black powder nowadays? Still in supply, or is it drying up? I'd hate to jump back into a hobby that's slowing down.
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
AL8

#6 Post by AL8 »

Powders are about, but you may find percussion caps harder to get hold of.
Prices for them have increased like everything else, you probably paid around £7 a tin now some people are charging £13
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

It has been a while, welcome back. :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal