Checking velocity in club range

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Jimminy234

Checking velocity in club range

#1 Post by Jimminy234 »

I’m fairly new to reloading which I need to do for downloads in my clubs indoor range. We have mangnospeeds for members to use but I find it fairly annoying that when attached the rifle becomes less accurate and point of aim can be way off so can only test velocities.
Is there a better product available that’s suitable for use on a range where other people are shooting nearby? Ideally something that is easy to use and alloys you to shoot normally?
I was wondering if a labradar could be set up on one lane or would it want to measure every ones shots?
Graham M
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Checking velocity in club range

#2 Post by Graham M »

I know this sounds daft, but if you are only checking MV then why are you worried about accuracy. Surely you could simply check the velocity of a batch and then remove any attachment and then check accuracy.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Jimminy234

#3 Post by Jimminy234 »

I find the idea quite wasteful, I’ve recently been sent a small quantity of 4 variations of bullets for my .303 so if I test the velocity of each I’ve wasted 25% off them straight away. I’ve also been told it’s worth varying the powder load so I would need to check those rounds as well.
Then crimp or no crimp? Etc
It would soon add up to lots of velocity tests even though they are all likely to be very close to each other.
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#4 Post by Daryll »

So only test 1 round of each batch... that will give you a ball-park figure to know whether you're in safe, and the range, limits.
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

If you are new to re loading and downloading rifle calibers for use in a indoor range you need to forget about accuracy and first get your handload recipe right. What type of powder are you down loading what type of bullets are you using cast of jacketed you should not be down loading rifle powders for indoor use.
Jimminy234

#6 Post by Jimminy234 »

I’m using unique with cast bullets with a similar powder charge that’s proven to work well and be within limits. I’m about 30% under the max energy allowed. I’m not going to add anymore powder so I’d be surprised if slight changes are going to put me over the range limits. At this stage I just want to comply with the rules of checking the velocity of a recipe and my inner geek would like to see if small changes actually make a difference but if I have to mess with a magnospeed I’d rather just stick with my original recipe that’s good enough. My conclusion from first using a magnospeed is that it’s not a great tool and I hear quite a few of the old boys complaining about it so I wondered if there is a better tool for the job.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

The magnospeed is probably not the best tool for what you are trying to do. The best set up I have seen for testing loads is at The Yarners Club in Durham. They have a firing point set up with a Chronograph you just shoot five rounds through the chrono make a note of the numbers then move onto another firing point and carry on shooting.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Unique and a cast bullet should not give you any problems on a indoor 25 yard range. You don't say what caliber you are working with as long as you use a good quality re loading manual for load data you can not really go wrong. ( I say that with tongue in cheek. The Lyman cast bullet manual is a good investment.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Jimminy234 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:11 am I find the idea quite wasteful, I’ve recently been sent a small quantity of 4 variations of bullets for my .303 so if I test the velocity of each I’ve wasted 25% off them straight away. I’ve also been told it’s worth varying the powder load so I would need to check those rounds as well.
It would soon add up to lots of velocity tests even though they are all likely to be very close to each other.
The original poster stated he was looking for load data for an indoor range if you think shooting .303 on and indoor range and developing a load for indoors is a waste of time.
I am so glad I don,t have to shoot along side you.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

Alpha1 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:15 am
Jimminy234 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:11 am I find the idea quite wasteful, I’ve recently been sent a small quantity of 4 variations of bullets for my .303 so if I test the velocity of each I’ve wasted 25% off them straight away. I’ve also been told it’s worth varying the powder load so I would need to check those rounds as well.
The original poster stated he was looking for load data for an indoor range if you think shooting .303 on and indoor range and developing a load for indoors is a waste of time.
I am so glad I don,t have to shoot along side you.
that is the original poster
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns