innocent question from someone completely new to all this

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Shpagin

innocent question from someone completely new to all this

#1 Post by Shpagin »

Is gunsmithing legal for ordinary shooters or do you need a special kind of licence?

For anyone of a practical bent with an interest in technology and engineering, it is inevitable that we will wonder whether we'd be able to make a trigger mechanism or something, but if we did, would we get in hot water?

I am nearly 60, so there's no chance of getting a gunsmithing apprenticeship at my age, more's the pity, but I do like to make things, like I am building a cyclekart (a scaled-down racing car) and I have built an SSDR aeroplane and restored a J Type van, etc. I'd love a go at a gun, if there was a legal way to do it.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: innocent question from someone completely new to all this

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

It has the potential to get in trouble, and fast, but if you're sensible and don't make anything pressure bearing, or 'complete' then things like trigger mechanisms etc could be possible. I had a load of old flint and matchlock trigger mechs passed onto me by the widow of a shooting friend which were all mounted on small wooden plaques which made it pretty obvious they were just 'examples' of the the type and not intended to be added to a working gun.
DVC
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#3 Post by Mattnall »

If you're working on your own firearms then as long as what you make is safe go for it. Be careful with manufacturing some bits from new as you may not be allowed to possess them without a certificate entry (barrels, etc) but otherwise it shouldn't be a problem.

Be careful, if anything goes wrong liability and insurance cover will be the big issue.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Shpagin

#4 Post by Shpagin »

Mattnall wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:33 am If you're working on your own firearms then as long as what you make is safe go for it. Be careful with manufacturing some bits from new as you may not be allowed to possess them without a certificate entry (barrels, etc) but otherwise it shouldn't be a problem.

Be careful, if anything goes wrong liability and insurance cover will be the big issue.
Very wise. I think I will steer well clear of modifying anything until I know an awful lot more. I am a long way off owning anything yet. I was just surprised and encouraged when I saw there's a gunsmithing section, because I hadn't realised we were allowed to do any at all.
Graham M

#5 Post by Graham M »

Never do any action work for other people. If the thing blows up YOU are in deep doo-doo and you won't have insurance to cover you.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#6 Post by Mattnall »

Graham M wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:18 pm Never do any action work for other people..
Also, if there is any payment, either monetary or in kind, for any such work and you are not an RFD you leave yourself open to prosecution under section 3(1) of the FA.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Shpagin

#7 Post by Shpagin »

Mattnall wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:34 am
Graham M wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:18 pm Never do any action work for other people..
Also, if there is any payment, either monetary or in kind, for any such work and you are not an RFD you leave yourself open to prosecution under section 3(1) of the FA.
Rest assured, I am not interested in anything like this, but it is salutary advice for anyone who is.