Powder Manufacturers website info

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Blackstuff

Powder Manufacturers website info

#1 Post by Blackstuff »

Hello all,

Due to a forced change in powder i'm starting afresh with working up a .308 load. I had been using All. RE15 for .223 and .208 but the insane price increase has drove me to Vit. I did want to use N140 as its the closest burn rate to RE15 you can get but I couldn't find any at the time. As I could get load data for it, I ended up with Vit N540.

I'd gone onto the Vit website for the load data a few months ago and screenshotted the relevant info for my bullet choice (168gr SMK), for ease of use. Anyway I loaded up a few batches of test rounds yesterday using the screenshot info, which gave a starting load of 37.7grs up to a max of 44.5grs.

I just happened to have a quick look on their website this morning and notice that this has now changed to 40.4 - 43.7grs, which in my book is pretty significant. As i'm working up loads I naturally started at the bottom so thankfully no safety issue, however I now have a couple of batches which are well under the 'new' starting load 8-) Has anyone else noticed any changes like this from any other powder manufacturers? 5mith
DVC
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

Re: Powder Manufacturers website info

#2 Post by billgatese30 »

I've seen or heard of it reducing from batch to batch, but the window shrinking at both ends of the scale is a new one on me!
Chris
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

Blackstuff wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:53 pm As i'm working up loads I naturally started at the bottom so thankfully no safety issue, however I now have a couple of batches which are well under the 'new' starting load
remember, underloading slower burning powders is where the danger occurs from so called detonation. I don't think the powder levels discussed are at risk, but just keep it in mind.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Blackstuff

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

bradaz11 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:28 am
Blackstuff wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:53 pm As i'm working up loads I naturally started at the bottom so thankfully no safety issue, however I now have a couple of batches which are well under the 'new' starting load
remember, underloading slower burning powders is where the danger occurs from so called detonation. I don't think the powder levels discussed are at risk, but just keep it in mind.
No harm in warning, however i'm not 'underloading' by any stretch, just starting at the bottom of their original starting load data, which is now nearly 3grs lower than the current figure kukkuk

I'm wondering whether to even burn the powder/primers in the lowest batches or just pull them and start again teanews
DVC
ukrifleman

#5 Post by ukrifleman »

I get the feeling that lawyers compile load data info these days!
ukrifleman
phaedra1106

#6 Post by phaedra1106 »

You'll probably find 42gr gives very nice results, it's the go to load for my 167/168gr bullets, usually set at 2.795" COAL as per Vihts load data.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#7 Post by dodgyrog »

Viht have an App for your mobile you can download. It updates regularly. I find it very useful.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Blackstuff

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

Well I tested 3 rounds from the lowest and highest of my batches at the weekend and the lower came out as ~2300fps and the upper ~2450fps. Given i'm looking for around 2650fps I guess I'd best warm up the old kinetic bullet puller 8-) ****

Will give the app a go. Probably says something different again lol
DVC