Firing Pins - the legality of buying

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

Firing Pins - the legality of buying

#1 Post by Pinguino »

So I needed a new firing pin for my Lee Enfield as it was stuck solid in the cocking piece and had to be cut out of the bolt. Simple enough, got my local gunsmith who initially tried to free it out, to get a replacement pin to fit and test (I had a few spare cocking pieces in my maintenance stash).

In the meantime I decided to source a spare for the future. What I came across was an odd series of sellers saying they could only supply to other RFDs or they would have to fit it themselves.

I've previously bought firing pins for my other firearms, both as replacements and/or upgrades - from the UK and abroad..!!! So what's going on? Are there any legal restrcitions people are aware of or a new interpretation of some spurious paragraph in the firearms act?

Don't want to fall foul (legally) over something so seemignly silly.
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

Re: Firing Pins - the legality of buying

#2 Post by billgatese30 »

Never heard of the pin being restricted. I've bought them mail order before without issue.
Chris

#3 Post by 1066 »

They still seem freely available - many match shooters carry a spare firing pin when away for competitions.
https://www.intershoot.co.uk/product/an ... y-1807-12/
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Graham M

#4 Post by Graham M »

£65 for a piece of stamped metal is just criminal.
I have bought spring steel off fleebay and made my own for a fraction of the cost.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Blackstuff

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

Some sellers insist on stuff going to another RFD as a matter of course. I've had the same from Helstons Gunsmiths insisting they send a magazine spring to an RFD wtf
DVC
millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#6 Post by millemigliadave »

Have you asked at Fultons? I'd be surprised if they don't have spare strikers? Also worth calling D&B Militaria probably.

I don't see how it could be Sect 1 as its essentially just an elaborate nail.. but I bet D&B or Fultons would know.
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

just another imagined law
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
YattonShooter

#8 Post by YattonShooter »

I’ve bought many firing pins without the need for RFD transfer etcetera.
It is always hand to have a spare if possible.
One of those items where if you are in a competition and it breaks, always handy to have one to hand as a spare.
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

#9 Post by Pinguino »

Blackstuff wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:23 am Some sellers insist on stuff going to another RFD as a matter of course. I've had the same from Helstons Gunsmiths insisting they send a magazine spring to an RFD wtf
Yep, I think this is just a case of silly practice by a few individual suppliers who really should know better. As I said I've bought quite a few and contunie to do so. Oddly enough, Ukraine are still excellent for shipping spare parts for my Russian Mosin Nagants ..... it's an odd war!