I.A.B. Sharps .54

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Swallowtail
Home club or Range: North Cotes

I.A.B. Sharps .54

#1 Post by Swallowtail »

I'm considering getting the Sharps .54 falling block and wondering if there are any particular issues I need to consider before purchase. I already shoot BP with a 58 cal musket and 44 le page flintlock so used to BP, it's more about this particular gun and anything in particular which I need to either check for or steer clear of?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: I.A.B. Sharps .54

#2 Post by dromia »

Availability of replacement parts.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

The fact that there has been no rush with opinions on the I.A.B firearms should tell you something.

If you do searches on yanque firearms sites you will see that at best they receive a mixed reception as to quality.

I have had one of their Trapdoors which was disappointment shooting wise to say the least, it soon shook itself loose. Hence my initial post on spare parts.

I assume that as you say .54 calibre then it is the paper cartridge Sharps, if so then the complications of this method challenged I.A.B.

This mechanism uses a sliding sleeve in the breech to make a gas seal against the block 'pon firing.

I.A.B didn't know this(?!?!?!?!) so the early ones just had a solid breech with the attendant gas escape.

When they did add the sliding sleeve it had a reputation for jamming up solid after a couple of shots, and challenged competent gun smiths to loosen with out damage.

Alignment 'tween the sleeve and the block is also key as if it isn't square then the sleeve edges cut into the block thus spoiling the seal.

I shoot a Pedersoli 1859 Sharps carbine which shoots extremely well and is easily maintained.

If I was considering an I.A.B. (which I personally wouldn't). As well as the usual inspection of lock, stock and barrel, I would check the sleeve, if it has one, for free movement. I would also inspect the breech face looking at the breech ring formed by the sleeve 'pon firing and see how much wear there is and if it is even around its circumference. I would also strip down the breech block and thoroughly inspect the flash channel from nipple to ignition holes, the route the flash has to navigate is long with right angle turns in it, is this is not well clean and smooth they misfires are almost a certainty. I would then want to test fire it to see how the seal was and see how many rounds it would do afore the sleeve jammed.

I know that this probably way beyond what most sellers would be able to do or allow, but if I couldn't make such checks on an I.A.B. paper cartridge Sharps then I would walk away.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
capper

#4 Post by capper »

I think I’d give that particular gun a miss, the quality is very questionable as it’s been said, if you really want a Sharps style rifle, buy Pedersoli & enjoy it, just remember to buy
once and cry once!!
markie
Home club or Range: looe

#5 Post by markie »

I recently bought a Pedersoli Sharps 1874 carbine and it is excellent.