Home Offices launches consultation on deregulating sound moderators

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
The Event

Re: Home Offices launches consultation on deregulating sound moderators

#11 Post by The Event »

Chapuis wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:27 pm I thought that it was perhaps just me that thought that they had failed to consider flash hiders, obviously not.
Apparently the proposal is to delete Section 57(1)(d) entirely so that will take care of flash hiders as well as moderators.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#12 Post by Mattnall »

IainWR wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:39 am Just be careful on Q3 - don't want a data point that can be used to make moderators compulsory.
I've been saying for years that using the H&S argument to get moderators was likely to come back and bite us if we weren't careful.
Hopefully this will remove any threat.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#13 Post by the running man »

I filled it in too,good job
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
jmc67
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#14 Post by jmc67 »

Done and thanks for sharing the details.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#15 Post by 450 Martini »

Also done and i got my dad and younger brother (Both FAC holders) to do it.
My old FEO was insistent i put down a mod for our .22 on my first grant almost 20 years ago. I think he said there had been a court case over someone with hearing loss who had been denied one and they now needed a few more on the system.
Elshad
Home club or Range: Ham & Petersham RPC

#16 Post by Elshad »

I submitted additional comments via email regarding the possibility of using the intended legislative reform order (LRO) to also address the grey area re section 1 shotguns / LBPs and ownership by clubs.

I suggested they modify Section 15 of the 1988 Act by replacing all mentions of “rifle” or “muzzle-loading pistol” with “firearm”.

Appreciate that this is not directly relevant to the consultation but I thought it’s worth a shot and made the point that the current discrepancy is not because section 1 shotguns / LBPs are thought to be more dangerous than rifles (nowhere in the legislation is such a claim made) but instead due to a simple oversight, and that it would be prudent to address both this and the moderator issue in a single LRO.

Not holding my breath…
Chapuis

#17 Post by Chapuis »

Elshad wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:04 am I submitted additional comments via email regarding the possibility of using the intended legislative reform order (LRO) to also address the grey area re section 1 shotguns / LBPs and ownership by clubs.

I suggested they modify Section 15 of the 1988 Act by replacing all mentions of “rifle” or “muzzle-loading pistol” with “firearm”.

Appreciate that this is not directly relevant to the consultation but I thought it’s worth a shot and made the point that the current discrepancy is not because section 1 shotguns / LBPs are thought to be more dangerous than rifles (nowhere in the legislation is such a claim made) but instead due to a simple oversight, and that it would be prudent to address both this and the moderator issue in a single LRO.

Not holding my breath…
But it wasn't a simple oversight, it was a deliberate act of spitefulness.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Blackstuff »

Elshad wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:04 am I submitted additional comments via email regarding the possibility of using the intended legislative reform order (LRO) to also address the grey area re section 1 shotguns / LBPs and ownership by clubs.

Not holding my breath…
Thats allegedly in the pipeline again. fingerscrossed

It should've come in with the Policing and Crime Act 2017 when they reversed the silliness around expanding ammo, but a spiteful DCC put the kibosh on it at the last minute troutslapping
DVC