Starting up a Practical Shotgun layout!

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Starting up a Practical Shotgun layout!

#1 Post by Mike357 »

My club are considering starting a PSG element in the club. All very informal at present so it will be any semi auto/pump action to begin with. We may or may not seek approval for slug depending on the red tape.

However, can someone explain or point me in the direction of the rules and regulations for getting approval for such a range? It will be at our current range.
Also it would be great to have some info about courses of fire and Target types.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Steve

Re: Starting up a Practical Shotgun layout!

#2 Post by Steve »

I would contact the UKPSA as they're the people who'd know.

http://www.ukpsa.co.uk/

With regards to slug.I think this will depend on what calibres or muzzle energies are allowed at your range.
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda
Dave 101

#3 Post by Dave 101 »

You will need a range insurance policy which allows for fire and movement , as most are for fixed firing points only .

Dave
Blackstuff

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

+1 for contacting the UKPSA.

It's not a side of the sport i've looked into to be honest, however if you were to only use bird/buck shot i'd assume the range build criteria would just be the same as a clay pigeon club, i.e. 300yrd fall out zone or significant back stop (i say that as my club uses a small disused quarry with 50ft high walls on 3 sides).

Adequate insurance, as Dave points out, is probably another matter. It the guy that owns the club i do it through is at the club on Saturday i'll ask him
DVC