.25-25 Stevens

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Shere Khan

.25-25 Stevens

#1 Post by Shere Khan »

Hello, everyone. I have been working with an original J.M. Ballard No. 3 in .25-25 Stevens. This rifle left the factory as a rimfire..probably a .22 short or long sometime in the 1880's..the action is cast-iron construction. Sometime in the far past, someone has re-bored/chambered to .25-25 Stevens..very professional job. action nice and tight, mint bore.
But since it is a cast-action, I have decided to use only black-powder. Cases are from Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co.
They are turned from solid bar stock on CNC lathes.
I have several original Ideal .25 moulds..various weights were cast using a fairly soft lead-tin alloy. Lube was SPG.
The twist is 1-12" so a 100gr. multi grooved bullet was used.
I am using Fed. small pistol primers, and Swiss 3FG.
The first few outings gave accuracy in the 2"-3" range. I had used Creame Of Wheat as a case filler over the powder charge..this was a big mistake..that filler grabbed the walls of the case & stretched some to .050"! One actually was torn in half. Never again.
Next time out, I useing 22.0 gr. 3FG Swiss, a "grease cookie" consisting of two 1/16" dental beeswax wads with a 1/16" wad of SPG sandwiched between..the rest of space filled with p**f-Lon filler. This gave a 1" group.
Next I tried 22.5gr. 3FG Swiss with above wads & filler...this put 4 into 1/4"..fifth felt off & opened group a bit.
I was running 1 barely damp patch thru after each shot..fouling soft and greasy.
Next I tried a du-plex load of 1gr. IMR SR PB next to primer & 22.0 gr. 3FG Swiss. This shot accurately, and left bore very clean..even in grooves.
I plan on experimenting more with these du-plex loads.
I made up a 36" brass drop-tube, and bullet seating is done with an original Ideal No. 3 tong tool.
This has been one of the most interesting black-powder projects to date. Cold weather has probably ended testing for this year.
Ovenpaa

Re: .25-25 Stevens

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

It sounds like a fascinating project, as I am mostly a shooter of modern and wildcat cartridges I know very little about the black powder side of things so I am always interested to read about load development of such things. Out of interest why did you have to use such a long drop tube, I have a 12" one here but seldom have any reason to use it and really it was just a Sunday morning project.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Any chance of some pictures of the rifle?

I'm just revisiting Ned Roberts writings, those Schuetzen boys knew how to shoot and the importance of good bullet fit for accuracy. The condom mob are just rediscovering it all again now. :D

I've a Stevens break barrel action rebarrel in 32-20 on order just now so looking forward to plying some black with that.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Shere Khan

#4 Post by Shere Khan »

Hello, and thanks everyone for replys. I guess it was out of habit I chose the 36" length..I use a 3/8" dia. one for larger calibers..I have since been experimenting with 18" & 12" tubes. I will try to get some pics..don't have dig. camera yet..Do you have a copy of John Dutchers book on the Ballard?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Unfortunately no. :(

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/