Remington Rolling Block Mid-Range

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Shere Khan

Remington Rolling Block Mid-Range

#1 Post by Shere Khan »

Hello, everyone. about a year ago, I became the proud owner of an original Remington Rolling Block Mid-Range in .40-70 str.
(2 1/2"). We have determined it was built around 1878. The original 28" 1/2 oct. brl. is marked as a .40-70 str.
Sometime in the far distant past..I believe it was still during the long-range match era. The barrel was re-bored-
re-chamberd to .44-77 (greater long-range accuracy?). The fellow I bought it from had it for about 25 years..finally got tired of getting beat up by recoil, so had a 32" Green Mountain 1/2 oct. brl. fitted to action. The caliber is same as original .40-70. I have put original brl. safely away..no alteration of action was done in any way in fitting new brl.
Now the neat part..the original brl. and L.H. side of action, near front edge have British proofs.
I know Remington had an office in England..don't know if it was imported thru them..or brought back from states by a British long-range rifleman?
The front sight is windage adjustable with spirit level. The inserts have a little peg, that fits a corresponding hole in front sight base. I had a few originals with rifle.
Wanting a full set. I had O'Hare Tool Co. "wire" out a set of various sized appatures, pin-heads, and cross-hair inserts.
We had quite a time getting these to fit..that peg sure complicated matters! O'Hare sent various sized samples..I hand filed to fit & sent back.
As luck would have it..by the time we had gotten it right..the weather has turned quite cold..too cold I am afraid to be fooling around with wet-patches & black powder fouling!
But in the Spring, I will be ready.
I just wish some of these old-timers could talk!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Remington Rolling Block Mid-Range

#2 Post by dromia »

Sounds beauty, we need pictures. :D

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Tower75

Re: Remington Rolling Block Mid-Range

#3 Post by Tower75 »

This is like a phone-sex chat-line. Show us the pics! :good: :cheers:
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?