Where's Glynn?

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
Ovenpaa

Re: Where's Glynn?

#21 Post by Ovenpaa »

I enjoy the current format of the journal, it seems to be 'right' so lets hope they try not to be too radical from day one.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#22 Post by Christel »

karen wrote:Up to Blaze

However according to their rate card (which I saw this week) it should be 1 December

However since they describe my Journal as an "old fashioned members newsletter" on their rate card there won't be anything from me in any future editions! :x

Love

A very p*** off Karen
Is that how they describe it? Yeah but that is how we like it!
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#23 Post by IainWR »

OK

The problem is that, given human nature, complaints are much more common than praise. So the NRA is aware of quite a few people who would prefer the Journal to be something else, but very few who think it's basically OK as it is. And I don't think Karen would claim it's brilliant - the content is mostly written by amateurs, there aren't as many colour pages as we would like, it gets a bit repetitive year on year, it has a heavy Target Rifle bias.

And guess why?

It doesn't pay for articles (which is why between 5 and 10% of everything is written by me - Karen can bully me in ways she can't bully anyone else).
Colour costs, and we aren't selling it as advertising - we would be using it to deliver a better service.
The NRA does mostly the same things year on year, and a Journal reports on that.
Notwithstanding the advances of both Gallery Rifle and F-Class, TR is still bigger than everything else the NRA does put together. And it's what the cadets do, so it's the intro to the future.

The NRA Journal is just that - a journal, a diary, a Captain's Log. It is the official printed record of what the NRA does. The equivalent of Hansard. It is NOT an in-house publicity magazine. It is NOT a gun magazine. The fact that Karen and her volunteer staff tried to make it more than just a dry record doesn't get away from it's primary function.

Oh, and my 5-10% will now have to be obtained by cold hard cash rather than by coercion. After all the publishers are a commercial organisation who expect to turn a commercial profit. Commercial rates apply - certainly as far as this 55-yr old dumped from his primary and very expensive skill by this wandering government is concerned.

Iain
John25

#24 Post by John25 »

I too have no plans to write, rather submit for publishing, the article withnthe working title 'from the outside' having done 'From the Butts, Firing Point, Range Office, Cowshed etc'

Doggerell also reserved for somewhere else.

Unless one's palm is crossed of course.

Karen, we still have some shampoo to sink, I think?

:cheers:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
karen

#25 Post by karen »

I have discovered that shampoo goes very well with a Mogul curry!

Just let me know when

Love

karen