Rob's latest Project

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Rob's latest Project

#11 Post by dromia »

I'd happily tackle that project with Robs shotguns. :good:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Robin128

#12 Post by Robin128 »

:lol: I bet you would! :lol:
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

:lol: :lol:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Robin128

#14 Post by Robin128 »

Parts have left USA.

If I get a quiet moment I'll sketch out the cut this week...but will wait to check dimensions. Might take a cue from Browning stock.
Robin128

#15 Post by Robin128 »

It's in customs... :)

Been thinking about the cut of the comb and the Beretta 682 Gold E lines look about right...it's close to the hand.

I'll not mark it out 'till I'm sure of furniture clearances (and I don't mean the bailiffs). ;)

I've analysed my mount and it's pointing low.
Attachments
682-gold-e_-trap.jpg
682-gold-e_-trap.jpg (8.88 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Robin128

#16 Post by Robin128 »

Graco furniture arrived this AM surprisingly and by-passed Customs. :grin:

Had to buy a set of 10-24unc taps...£33. :squirrel:

Right...here goes!

:shakeshout:
Robin128

#17 Post by Robin128 »

Drat...having second thoughts...there is a huge hollow inside the Beretta stock...I'm worried it will weaken the stock.

:-P

Might go for an add on, wrap around comb...have to do some thinking...I do need it to make the mount as good as the Browning which is perrrrrfect.

:shock:
Robin128

#18 Post by Robin128 »

Learning as I go...and sold on combs since the back sight is your eye which had better be looking down the centre of the rail with the right amount of standard elevation per shooting discipline eg skeet or trap. Browning guidance is to set the comb using the beads on the barrel...one half way down, unlike my Onyx that only has the muzzle bead. The cant is also very important.

Again thinking about the Graco and the amount of timber I would have to cut...missing the cavities inside and then having to leave enough thickness in the comb height for furniture...I'm thinking about what else is available...eg those for rifles.

But it must not affect cant...so the wrap around version may achieve comb rise but with undesirable cant...my cheek fit has to be right (no jokes please :grin: ).

Any ideas???

:-P
Ovenpaa

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

Any chance of a picture of the void inside the butt section?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#20 Post by Robin128 »

Just discovered M on my camera... :lol: 8-) :oops: :oops:

The Graco brass is 3.5" by 1 by 1/4 and overall height with comb furniture is 1" see foto.

The brass stock plate would take 1/4" depth out of top of cut in stock and would get close...too close to cavity IMHO and would anyway have to be set closer to the hand to avoid the wider part of cavity...it's stepped inside as you view from O/S back to stock retaining bolt.

When fitting the Gracoil LOP I had a jig with kit requiring one hole at the bottom of stock...the rest of the part required a little larger hole for the thick screw bit you see in foto. I have the feeling that the OEM stock cavity is that large perhaps as part of balancing the gun.

The other constraint is the height of the comb, to retain and hold the steel bushes and to be effective...to avoid splitting the stock (and me having a sh1tfit)...the plate would have to be far forward of the step in the cavity.