338 Lapua Squib Round test

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Chuck

338 Lapua Squib Round test

#1 Post by Chuck »

A PSR solicitation, as mentioned in this video, is a precision sniper rifle solicitation to a government agency. This .338 Lapua was able to take a squib round and still fire another round. A squib round is when a bullet does not fully got through the barrel.

Firing another round behind a squib can kill the shooter, especially in a caliber of this power. Some barrels of firearms blow apart violently.

This video shows that firearms can be made to withstand the tremendous pressures of firing off a round behind a squib. In this case, the squib and the fired bullet went through the barrel. Then a followup shot was fired. This is actually a pretty amazing test result

http://uscca.us/ccr/view_post.php?postId=611
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Ovenpaa

Re: 338 Lapua Squib Round test

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Impressive! I wonder how the Accuracy International AW .338 would compare in a similar test.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
tikkathreebarrels

#3 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

Am I right to be astonished? Okay, the video doesn't show close examination if the barrel but, irregardless of the calibre & energy, that's a pretty good rifle and if I were employing people who can't think for themselves to use a firearm, why that'd be the one for me. Or them.
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Impressive, a lot of overpressure there.
Chuck

#5 Post by Chuck »

They did say on the video barrel still had to be examined but it still took a round through it after the trst. Impressive, I'd say so.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Chapuis

#6 Post by Chapuis »

An even greater test would be if the lodged bullet was actually half way up the barrel rather than being immediately in front of the chambered round. That is probably the worst case scenario for the result of a faulty round.
Personally I wouldn't call it a squib round either as I have always regarded reduced power rounds as being squib loads, that are used for such things as short range despatching or reduced range target shooting, or even for other special purposes through a moderator.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I was reading last night about an American black powder shooter, standard test for a new gun was a double charge of powder and two balls rammed down the barrel and then pull the trigger with a long piece of string.....
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by Sandgroper »

Did anyone else notice the the video jump at the 2:49 mark?

It just struck me as strange that it was a continous video up until that point. :-P
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

I noticed that as well but chose to ignore it as it was before the shot, but then again maybe it wasn't....
/d

Shed Journal