Nitro Muzzle Loading Conversion

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

SeaWolf

Nitro Muzzle Loading Conversion

#1 Post by SeaWolf »

Hi Everyone,

I have a .44 long barrelled revolver which doesn't get as much use as it could. Not too many folk round here have them.

Been thinking about converting it to muzzle loading with nitro, using shotgun primers Alan Westlake is the number one man for this, as far as I can see, but he only seems to do .38 conversions.

Anybody know anyone else doing these conversions, who would convert a .44 ?

Sea Wolf
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

Re: Nitro Muzzle Loading Conversion

#2 Post by the running man »

Ring him and ask him,I'm sure it won't be a problem.....
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Ballistol

#3 Post by Ballistol »

Hi,

I had a lovely Ruger Old Army which was converted to Nitro + Shotgun primers, I believe it was done by a chap called Richard Kershaw.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#4 Post by Mike357 »

Ian, I'm almost 100% that Alan does 44s as well.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
SeaWolf

#5 Post by SeaWolf »

I was in contact by e-mail with Alan Westlake, who didn't sound keen. I got in touch with our local Police to make sure they would be happy with what I was proposing, and they took ages to reply as my first e-mail went walkabout. After I got the OK from them I e-mailed Alan again, but he doesn't reply.

I have also spoken to Richard Kershaw by e-mail, but he had not done one of these .44 LBR conversions and didn't sound keen either. Hence asking here if anyone knows another source.

I also have a couple of Ruger Old Armys, but (a) I want to keep them as they are and (b) I don't like the look of them after conversion with the bullet rams gone. My only other revolvers are a .36 Uberti Remington and a .31 Uberti Colt, so they are not the normal ones for conversion either.

I really want to get the .44 long barrelled pistol done so I can get more use out of it. Any pointers appreciated.

Sea Wolf
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#6 Post by the running man »

Phone alan........and actually ask him.
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
SeaWolf

#7 Post by SeaWolf »

Right. I'll give Alan a bell and see what he says.