Keeping rifles at a club

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

fiveeight

Keeping rifles at a club

#1 Post by fiveeight »

Does anyone have a FAC with a club or the NRA armoury at Bisley as the storage location? I'm thinking about applying for one as there's no way I could put a cabinet into my current rented flat and I don't have a car so transporting a rifle would be a hassle.

If you do keep your kit at Bisley is there anywhere you would recommend? My understanding is that spaces are pretty limited. Any problems you've had? I suppose space to clean or potentially to do reloading would be an issue.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Keeping rifles at a club

#2 Post by IainWR »

Most of the Bisley clubs have armouries with individual lockers to rent, and usually workbenches for cleaning and maintenance of your guns. But it costs - first you have to be a clubmember, then usually wait for an armoury space to become available. My own FAC has a condition that I have to store the guns in the RAF Target Rifle Club armoury at Bisley (not a problem as I'm the Club Firearms officer). One result is that I have never had a visit from a FEO on renewal, but that may be because I've known the FEOs reasonably well anyway through being the Club's point of contact.

The NRA armoury isn't full, so as a member you can just walk into the range office and arrange to leave your gun(s). I believe the charge for a year's storage is £60, and you have to adhere to their opening times (so you have to be slick about cleaning and returning your gun at the end of a day's shooting).

Iain