FAC listings "8mm" // "7.92mm"

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Tower75

FAC listings "8mm" // "7.92mm"

#1 Post by Tower75 »

Hi all.

Thought I'd share, as we know the different counties we live in, and sometimes the SAME county, has different rules for FAC variations etc.

I've got an open variation for an "8mm" and a "7.5mm" - the 8mm I was looking for an M95 Stery-Mannlicher, but lately I've been eyeing up the Mausers again.

However, I've been thinking, there's no way I could get a Mauser, even if I have an "8mm" slot, because 1) we all know that the "8mm Mauser" is actually 7.92mm, even though it's known as the "8mm Mauser", mainly by our US friends, and 2) I already have a G98 Mauser on ticket which is listed as 7.92mm

However, yesterday I thought "sod it, no harm in asking" so I rang my FL Office who said they'd get the FLO to ring me. Just had a phone call from him and he said, basically "The 7.92 and 8mm Mauser are the same cartridge... just make sure if you buy one that it's listed as 8mm"

I was actually nicely surprised at that. Even though I have a 7.92mm Mauser, I can now look at "8mm" Mausers, even though they're the same cartridge. I was expecting that I'd have to send my FAC back and 1-for-1 the "8mm" to "7.92mm" or at least "7.92mm/8mm" but no.

This is typical? Anyone have anything similar?
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Dangermouse

Re: FAC listings "8mm" // "7.92mm"

#2 Post by Dangermouse »

I applaud you for contacting your FET and asking their thoughts first. We get a lot of people asking questions on the forum trying to second guess what their FET's are going to say or do when all they need to do is pick up the phone.

Make sure that whatever ammunition you need is the same calibre as on the FAC, My FAC has .308/7.62 & .223/5.56, I don't know if they will do similar for you,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Tower75

#3 Post by Tower75 »

Cheers, and yup, my ammunition is correct on my FAC.

The 7.92 Mauser I have has the standard; Buy 500, Keep 600, and it's the same for the "8mm" ammo, though tbh, I'll probably just reload.

Don't think I've bought factory ammo since about 2010 :lol: Can you tell how much FB shooting my club does?
Doz
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Doz »

Dangermouse wrote:Make sure that whatever ammunition you need is the same calibre as on the FAC, My FAC has .308/7.62 & .223/5.56, I don't know if they will do similar for you,
One of our club chaps who's in the Sussex Police area has just been refused .308/7.62, they want him to specify which one. I was surprised, as mine is the same as yours DM.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Sandgroper »

I try to keep my requests as broad (or as vague ;) ) as possible and so far Grampian has played along. For example my spare 22rf slot and ammo is just listed as .22 - so realistically, I could get any .22 (and ammo) RF or CF.

If I thought about getting Mauser I would probably ask for a 7.92/8mm with a letter explaining the wording of the request.

Thinking about it, the accompanying letter with any variation is probably what swings in my favour as it gives me the opportunity to fully present my case and any anomalies beforehand. It heads off any arguements, shows I'm serious because I've thought enough about it to write extra and I'm doing most of the work for them.

I've only specifically asked for a cartridge three times, first time was .223/5.56 because I didn't know any better, I now have a slot for .22CF. The second was for a plain .303, although I was tempted to ask for .303/.311/7.7mm but thought better of it. O:-)
The last time was for the 8x56R. That gave them the opportunity to find out how unusual the round was and again to show them I was serious.

For me it boils down to how well you understand the law, your relationship with Firearms Licensing and your RFD. :good:

HTH
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#6 Post by bnz41 »

Hi Tower.75.
Not looking to get a Mauser are you? joining the odd group.... :lol:

I already have a 7.92 Mauser, and thought about getting another, so on doing my variation I put down 8x57..On finding a G98 advertised as 7.92 Mauser I asked the dealer if it could be written on my cert as 8x57, he said as they are the same no problem. Which means I also get double the ammo amount allowed 500 each...
Tower75

#7 Post by Tower75 »

:lol: Keep forgetting there's more then one forum out there!

But, yes. "Possibly" thinking about another Mauser. A carbine too. Probably something to look at after I return from USland. Or maybe I'l look while I'm out there :grin:
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#8 Post by meles meles »

Warwickshire Police are pretty good - maybe because their bangstick department actually seem to know a little about guns. When I applied for a series of variations I included a letter mentioning the different names for what was essentially the same calibre. They gave me variations for ".22RF", "7.62" and "7.92" and made it clear that they didn't mind which flavour of those calibres I purchased just so long as it was correctly recorded on my certificate and the ammunition was properly identified.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"