What am I looking for?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Amber Dog

What am I looking for?

#1 Post by Amber Dog »

The time is nearly upon me where I can buy my first firearm. I am looking at second hand but what exactly am I looking for to stop me going with the promise of buying a firearm but instead buying some seeds for a beanstalk.

What am I looking for? What should I test? What should I ask?

DaveT

Re: What am I looking for?

#2 Post by DaveT »

I would say that your first two decisions are...

1) What am I going to use it for .....Target (then what maximum distance) or Hunting (then which quarry)

2) Once that is nailed you can home in on a calibre (Ask on here BUT you will get MANY opinions.... nearly all of them perfectly valid!)

Take your time ..... choose a 'mainstream' manufacturer
Amber Dog

#3 Post by Amber Dog »

Sorry, must have phrased it wrong.

If I was looking for a car I would ask:-

- how many previous keepers has it had?
- why are you selling?
- does it have tax and MOT?
- does it have any service records?
- has the owner smoked?

And I would do an exterior check and check for oil, water or other fluid leaks around the engine and other mechanical components etc..

But what do I do for a gun?
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well for starters look at the person, would you buy a car off them let alone a rifle? Next what state is the rifle in, and is the condition in keeping with the alleged age and price and also ask if they know how many rounds have been through it. Every rifle I own apart from service stuff has had every single round through it logged.

Ask them if they reload and if so what are they putting through it and to what distance.

EDIT - have a peer up the barrel and look at the bolt, is everything nice and shiny and smelling of oil or are there bits of brass on the bolt face, another thing is does it rattle and is the action nice and tight in the stock. Also if it has a 'scope fitted are there any scratches or graunches on do the turrets wind through OK with nice crisp clicks.

Always ask the owner if it is OK to wind the turrets on and always try and return them to where they were. Also ask if you can dry fire the rifle, demonstrate to the owner it is safe and keep the rifle pointing away from everyone and then cycle the bolt a few times and see how the trigger feels.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal