SHOW US YOUR SPIKES TACTICAL RIFLES

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G

Re: SHOW US YOUR SPIKES TACTICAL RIFLES

#31 Post by Sim G »

Blackstuff wrote:If a rimfire cartridge is wedged in the action outside of the chamber and you bang on the back of it with a big bit of metal (the bolt) theres a chance of detonation??

Failure to feed Mark, especially in the manner you describe, would not be a situation for the bolt assist.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#32 Post by Sandgroper »

It's been a long time since I've handled a M-16 (AR-15 if you like ;) ) so correct me if I'm wrong - the bolt assist is to ensure the round is chambered correctly and bolt is fully locked?

I could look it up but I'm not in the mood to going hunting around upstairs for the training pam(phlet)! :oops:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Sim G

#33 Post by Sim G »

And for locking bolt on a "soft closure" and for the purpose described in my original post, closing the bolt fully on an excessively dirty gun....... even with a rimfire using ammo with heavy and excessive lube associated with bulk buy.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#34 Post by Sandgroper »

Sim G wrote:And for locking bolt on a "soft closure" and for the purpose described in my original post, closing the bolt fully on an excessively dirty gun....... even with a rimfire using ammo with heavy and excessive lube associated with bulk buy.
Yep, that's it! :good:

I suppose the danger is that if you need the bolt assist due to firing dirty ammo you could have a build up of crap around the chamber, on which the rim could be crushed against causing detonation.

Possibly, more of a theoretical, rather than actual risk?
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ginger

#35 Post by Ginger »

Sim G wrote:
Ginger wrote:
Thank you for your tactful reply Mark, I was trying to think of how to answer with out being sarcastic.

Oh, you're the big man aren't you!

First, discover the purpose for the bolt assist, then, (with the most sacrcastic tone able to summon) come back and share the wealth of your knowledge and experience.....
Actually Sim G, I couldn't think of how to put down in words I don't think it's advisable to use the forward assist on any rimfire round and I was acutally thanking Mark for managing to do it with out being sarcastic.

A simple google for "what is the forward assist for on an ar15" gives this website which I should have done for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_assist

No offence was ment to you.
Sim G

#36 Post by Sim G »

Fair enough Ginger. However, read my posts again, I wan't after asking what is the bolt assist for, I am fully aware of it.

Ginger

#37 Post by Ginger »

Sim G wrote:Fair enough Ginger. However, read my posts again, I wan't after asking what is the bolt assist for, I am fully aware of it.
That will teach me for reading a reply to a comment ;)

No working F/A in the spikes though the CMMG does and I also believe the Lanner Tactical one does too. with regards to the bolt release, you require the CMMG BHOA for it to work, about $/£ 26
Tomo

#38 Post by Tomo »

try the Smith & Wesson MP15-22. Working bolt release and last mag hold open. No forward assist button.
huntervixen
Home club or Range: The Severn Side Range

#39 Post by huntervixen »

Here we go,

With regard to the Spikes, very pleased indeed, I have put thousands of rounds through it and it rarely misses a beat.

Its a real shame Spikes have stopped making them, the bolt on the CMMG is the same design as Spikes, so thats the way I would go regarding buying another.

I only had one real issue with it in 3 years, and that was a bit of a strange one....the original trigger got very...well...mushy...please stop me if I am getting to technical !!

I bought a Trimney trigger unit to replace it, when I took the pins out, the trigger pin was broken in half!!!...Wayne said he had never seen one break before.

However, glad I fitted the Trimney, instant tightening up of the groups, money well spent.

With regard to the AR15 forward assist, it really is a strange left over from the weapons distant past, first introduced on the M16 A1, it helped to counter poor quality ammunition and frequent climate related jams in South East Asia.

It really hasn't been needed for the last 40 years...but, every new variant, it's still there!!!

Cheers, John.
Two margarines .... is there anything worse? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4cEocL5kI
mikeb

#40 Post by mikeb »

Mine turned up this morning....at last! Down the range on Sunday it is then.

Mikeyb