Let's be carefull out there

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

25Pdr

Let's be carefull out there

#1 Post by 25Pdr »

A recent blowup photo of the results of dropping a 20Ga shell in a 12Ga and then firing a 12Ga reminds of the time a few years ago one of our ex members gave us a safety lecture which included the above warning. Immediately after which he dropped a 20Ga shell into his 12Ga and sheepishly asked, "Does anyone have a cleaning rod" :roll:

BTW Interestingly, the following quote from this article about the Birmingham Gun Proof House..Clicky... mentions just this problem.

The next room was a sort of 'Black Museum' of what can go wrong if firearms are misused, a P14 rifle split from end to end from carelessly leaving a cleaning patch in the bore, a 25/06 rifle that had had a .308 round fired in it. After looking at the exhibits here anyone with a shotgun that has interchangeable chokes will ensure that they are fully screwed home. Some of the more interesting examples were the result of some experiments carried out in the proof house on the effects of first loading a 20 bore shell ahead of a 12 bore round and firing it. The only gun that seemed capable of handling this appeared to be the Russian Baikel. High speed photography showed that the barrel bulged to release the pressure but was sufficiently elastic to return to its original form and suffering no lasting effects. Not to be recommended practice for Baikel owners all the same!

Polchraine

Re: Let's be carefull out there

#2 Post by Polchraine »

On one of my regular shoots, there is a husband and wife who use a 12G and 20G - and I am sure they do not practice safe cartridge management.

It is also the reason why 20G cartridges are yellow (or should be). There are some makers who don't follow the voluntary code and make 20G in other colours or they make 12s in yellow.

Earlier this year, on a shoot, one careless person dropped a 16 into his 12G ... but it is not possible to put a 12 behind the 16 and it took quite a bit of teasing/pushing to remove it.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Steve

Re: Let's be carefull out there

#3 Post by Steve »

This is why i wont have a 20g and 12g in the same house.I've also seen one in the flesh and its truly horrific.