Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Slug for PSG

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

Hey I need all the help I can get! bangbang
DVC
The Cupcake Kid

#12 Post by The Cupcake Kid »

IainWR wrote:NRA sell three different types of 12g slug, two 32 gram and one 28 gram. All by S&B - should I be stocking something else to improve sales? Also we have something (Hull 3 crowns?) SG. Is there a better / wider choice that would sell to the PSG market?

Iain
I'd have thought the best way to find out what to stock is to ask the target shotgunners what they need, through the NRA membership channels and/or entry forms or during the weekends these disciplines are shot.

From one year to the next it always seems I'm having to panic-buy whatever is available because there aren't consistent stocks of slug/buckshot suitable for the competitions being run.

The current preference from what I have seen is for coated slug (which prevents lead fouling in some barrels) and buffered buckshot (Remington, usually as it's lower recoil and produces tighter groups in some guns).

In previous years, the NRA had placed one order for the 28g S&B Sport slug (which had been a good option) at the start of the year and then run out of it by May, leaving just the horrendously expensive 32g S&B. Most competitors don't need 32g slug as the majority of guns work OK with 28g loads. Some of us have also had reliability problems with S&B recently, so to offer an alternative brand is always a good idea.

There are other options out there, but it seems sometimes the NRA only want to deal with one or two specific distributors/brands. At the moment, that seems to be S&B & Hull for cartridges. I think you'd be surprised at the demand if you were to stock the coated Geco slug and Remington buffered SG, especially if you could offer them at a competitive price and maintain stocks throughout the year.

Here's an idea (more like a dream though, I fear) - how about organising a target shotgun ammo test where a few of us could bring along a variety of different shotguns and put a few rounds of different types of slug and SG through them to find out if they cycle OK and compare grouping/accuracy? I'm sure the NRA would be able to get some sample quantities from the various manufacturers and I'd jump at the chance to have an opportunity to find out if there are better options out there.

What do you think?
saddler

#13 Post by saddler »

I'm sure the NRA would be able to get some sample quantities from the various manufacturers
signfunnypost