Shotgun capacity: Just what *can* I buy?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Shotgun capacity: Just what *can* I buy?

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

I think we've got a bit off track there, just for clarity;
SevenSixTwo wrote:I'm applying for my FAC and I have been told you "might as well" apply for a shotgun slot while doing it. Fair enough I suppose.

Can someone clarify the rules in GB and NI for shotgun ownership with regards to pump actions and capacity? I've seen folk say 2+1 is the most you can have on a pump... but I've just seen 7+1.

:)
Any shotgun (regardless of action type) that has a magazine capacity greater than 2 cartridges becomes Section 1 and has to be held on a FAC.

An FAC/Section 1 shotgun has no capacity limit under GB legislation, not sure about NI.

You can then complicate things by adding in barrel length/section 5 etc etc but the above should answer the OP's question :good:
DVC
rocket-dog

#12 Post by rocket-dog »

Blackstuff wrote: You can then complicate things by adding in barrel length/section 5 etc etc but the above should answer the OP's question :good:
You are being too nice. Remember he can still shoot pistols. He deserves a bit of confusion! razz

I apologise for taking the thread off track. I didn't realise the OP was in Ulster.
SevenSixTwo

#13 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Thanks for the clarification, all.

I think I'll just go for a 2+1... I wouldn't want to get used to a greater capacity then have to surrender it later.

Anyone know if Mossberg 5xx Series (500 etc) are readilly available in 2+1?

saddler

#14 Post by saddler »

SevenSixTwo wrote:Thanks for the clarification, all.

I think I'll just go for a 2+1... I wouldn't want to get used to a greater capacity then have to surrender it later.

Anyone know if Mossberg 5xx Series (500 etc) are readilly available in 2+1?

Surely even as a 2+1 you will need an FAC though as you are in NI??

Why not get a large capacity gun & have it down converted at such as time as you decide to leave NI & apply for a SGC

I've moved force areas with S.1 shotguns with zero issues, you may be anticipating problems that may not even BE problems
SevenSixTwo

#15 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Hmm, you may have a point. I'd like to (perhaps naively) assume that if I'm already licenced for a large cap (FAC) SG here, when I move to the Mainland again, the Police might not have a major issue me keeping it, albeit under Sect 1?

Personally, it's no odds to me; I'd be happy enough with a 3 shot if that's all I can find.
saddler

#16 Post by saddler »

SevenSixTwo wrote:Hmm, you may have a point. I'd like to (perhaps naively) assume that if I'm already licenced for a large cap (FAC) SG here, when I move to the Mainland again, the Police might not have a major issue me keeping it, albeit under Sect 1?

Personally, it's no odds to me; I'd be happy enough with a 3 shot if that's all I can find.
Multi-shots DO tend to be cheaper to buy....
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#17 Post by Blackstuff »

SevenSixTwo wrote:Hmm, you may have a point. I'd like to (perhaps naively) assume that if I'm already licenced for a large cap (FAC) SG here, when I move to the Mainland again, the Police might not have a major issue me keeping it, albeit under Sect 1?

As long as your 'good reason' remains i.e. PSG/TSG or significant pest control there's no reason for them to want to take it off you
DVC
SevenSixTwo

#18 Post by SevenSixTwo »

An RFD suggested to me today getting a 'magazine' for a 3 shot SG to extend capacity. I'm not familiar with 'magazines' for shotguns (never heard of them to be honest) and was a little too embarassed to ask... 'what's one of them'?

Any pics? How do they attach / work?

Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

The bottom two have magazine extensions on;

Here's the one in the middle without the magazine on;

NB You need the gun added to your FAC before you put a magazine on it
DVC
SevenSixTwo

#20 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Thanks. Ok, so say I buy a 5+1 now and when back on the Mainland do I just replace the magazine to a 2+1. I guess it's not that simple...