Short Siberia - ALWAYS fully booked during weekdays.

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Dougan

Re: Short Siberia - ALWAYS fully booked during weekdays.

#11 Post by Dougan »

I recon this a 'should have gone to specsavers' issue razz

The two loos you're talking about have been there for years...the ones where you would need to do a 'full hover' if it came to it ;)

Next time you're there look to your right; with the loos you're talking about on your left...you will see what looks like a porta-cabin office...step inside, and behold!...somewhere where it's safe to take a dump at Bisley :lol:

Joking aside; There have been improvements to the ablutions all across the site this year :good:
Blu

#12 Post by Blu »

yep supposedly the black clad ninjas have paid for most of the works to improve the range :good: so it seems fair that they get to play in the week.
Alan, was it paid for out of their own pockets or did that money come via the public purse?

Blu :twisted:
Dougan

#13 Post by Dougan »

Hiya Blu,

This has been discussed at length on here before - The money from the Nuke police has been a lifeline to Bisley (even some of the NRAs most hardened and unreasonable critics have admitted so), and has been invested on SS, Century Butt 19 (where the SS weekday shooters have been displaced to) and other areas like the toilets and ablutions...

...ultimately it is tax-payers' money...but they have to train somewhere; and personally I'm glad they've chosen Bisley.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#14 Post by Dark Skies »

I'm sure it's absolutely fantastic. But as someone who has had to have both hips replaced and has a number of damaged discs thanks to an 'oops, sorry, didn't see you mate' catapulting me over the bonnet of their car I find I can't lie prone for very long and have a great deal of difficulty getting up off the floor. Walking long distances to the butts and not being able to sit and shoot pretty much means that when my membership expires at the end of the year I won't be renewing. Short Siberia was pretty much the only reason I continued.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Blu

#15 Post by Blu »

Dougan wrote:Hiya Blu,

This has been discussed at length on here before - The money from the Nuke police has been a lifeline to Bisley (even some of the NRAs most hardened and unreasonable critics have admitted so), and has been invested on SS, Century Butt 19 (where the SS weekday shooters have been displaced to) and other areas like the toilets and ablutions...

...ultimately it is tax-payers' money...but they have to train somewhere; and personally I'm glad they've chosen Bisley.
Hi Dougan, I must have missed that thread. Down State I was a member of a club that did something similar, the Police paid for some improvements and in return they were given priority access to the range for a period of two years, this was voted on and accepted by the clubs membership.

Maybe in return for what the nuke cops did some kind of time frame on their range usage could have been put in place after all the paying membership of the club should always come first and foremost. From what I gather the NRA is always needing the money and more importantly the membership, well it looks like they just lost another member if the OP last post is anything to go by.

There are other ways of raising funds apart from selling out ranges, clubs here do it all the time to make money.

Dangermouse

#16 Post by Dangermouse »

I shot on Short Siberia last Friday PM. As did many others both on 100 & 200 yards. There was no sign of the CNC.
I also used the toilets in the portacabin as did my girls, a vast improvement over the brick building.

I have to say that personaly I feel there has been a big improvement to the range, maybe not under the shelter but forward of that and the car park is much better.

DM
Dougan

#17 Post by Dougan »

I sympathise with your situation Dark Skies, as my father can't shoot prone anymore either...

...Using Butt 19 is not going to be as convenient as SS, but if you speak to the range office there are things that can make it easier - Firstly, If you can't shoot prone, they will deliver a shooting bench to any firing point you want free of charge - they provide a chair, but my old man brings his own adjustable stool...

...also if you explain your situation, the range office may allow you to drop your gear off at 200 and then park at 300...and as both the carparks will be reasonably empty during the week, you can drive between them to get to the butts...so in all it, with a bit of added logistics, would only add about 200 yards extra walking on the day...

...that said, the targets on Century aren't as easy to operate as on SS, so you might have to look at hiring a marker - Looking forward; there is talk of installing electric targets on Butt 19...which could make them even more convenient than Shorts.
Dougan

#18 Post by Dougan »

Blu wrote:
Dougan wrote:Hiya Blu,

Hi Dougan, I must have missed that thread. Down State I was a member of a club that did something similar, the Police paid for some improvements and in return they were given priority access to the range for a period of two years, this was voted on and accepted by the clubs membership.

Maybe in return for what the nuke cops did some kind of time frame on their range usage could have been put in place after all the paying membership of the club should always come first and foremost. From what I gather the NRA is always needing the money and more importantly the membership, well it looks like they just lost another member if the OP last post is anything to go by.

There are other ways of raising funds apart from selling out ranges, clubs here do it all the time to make money.

There is a 'time frame'...I'm not sure of the details, but I believe the range is theirs Monday to Thursday, indefinitely - And they didn't just stump up for a few extra toilets; there is also a substantial fee for range hire each year...is it not right for a shooting range to 'sell' it's range space?

Some folk weren't happy with the decision (some never are), but when you looked at the details, the vast majority of members agreed it was a no-brainer...

...and, it also appears that the NRA have kept to their plan of using the revenue sensibly...including making Butt 19 much more serviceable for those who can't use SS during the week.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#19 Post by Dark Skies »

Dougan wrote:I sympathise with your situation Dark Skies, as my father can't shoot prone anymore either...

...Using Butt 19 is not going to be as convenient as SS, but if you speak to the range office there are things that can make it easier - Firstly, If you can't shoot prone, they will deliver a shooting bench to any firing point you want free of charge - they provide a chair, but my old man brings his own adjustable stool...

...also if you explain your situation, the range office may allow you to drop your gear off at 200 and then park at 300...and as both the carparks will be reasonably empty during the week, you can drive between them to get to the butts...so in all it, with a bit of added logistics, would only add about 200 yards extra walking on the day...

...that said, the targets on Century aren't as easy to operate as on SS, so you might have to look at hiring a marker - Looking forward; there is talk of installing electric targets on Butt 19...which could make them even more convenient than Shorts.
I appreciate the sentiments but part of the reason I like Short Siberia is that I'm just a regular guy and not treated like some invalid that needs special treatment. Apart from a bit of a limp no-one is any the wiser what kind of pain I'm in.
And my experience of Bisley is that something is bound to go wrong. The bench won't have been put in place and I'll have to go back to the range office to sort it out, or I'll have to hang around losing shooting time waiting for it to arrive, or some chancer will have arrived before me and set up on it, etc. That and the extra walking plus maybe having to pay for a marker all just makes it more hassle than it's worth.

I always thought it would be the government that finally squeezed me out of shooting, rather than the NRA.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Blu

#20 Post by Blu »

Dougan,
There is a 'time frame'...I'm not sure of the details, but I believe the range is theirs Monday to Thursday, indefinitely
Indefinitely, really? And bought and paid for with funds from the public purse. Hey mate if you and the membership are okay with that whatever floats your boat. As I said in my last post I believe there are other ways of raising funds for improvements, I see it done all the time.
Some folk weren't happy with the decision (some never are)

Could be that those folks are the ones who have their days off during the week and are the folks that work weekends, not everyone works Monday to Friday mate.

Sorry mate but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one (what's new eh?). Have a good one.