Handgun Supply to Northern Ireland

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

ordnance

Re: Handgun Supply to Northern Ireland

#11 Post by ordnance »

I know a UK sec 5 dealer who has new G17 Gen 4s in stock.
Do they do anything apart from Glocks, you couldn't give them away here.
BamBam

#12 Post by BamBam »

ordnance wrote:
I know a UK sec 5 dealer who has new G17 Gen 4s in stock.
Do they do anything apart from Glocks, you couldn't give them away here.
You'd need to ask, I'm not in the market myself, so I've never asked those questions.

I like my G17 Gen 4, it's only a transatlantic flight away. :cool2:
ordnance

#13 Post by ordnance »

Thankfully mine is in my cabinet, CZ 75 that is not Glock. They are not popular here among civilian shooters that have a choice on what to buy unlike the police for example.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#14 Post by Dark Skies »

It's curious, given the troubles, that NI got a pass from the knee jerk mainland BS ban that we endured in England, Wales, and Scotland courtesy of that Dunblane kiddie-fondler and his enablers. Perhaps the government had a moment of clarity and realized that given the wide range of illegal firearms available to sectarian groups despite there being laws against them that it would be largely pointless to even try to stick their nose into legitimate shooting sports.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
saddler

#15 Post by saddler »

Dark Skies wrote:It's curious, given the troubles, that NI got a pass from the knee jerk mainland BS ban that we endured in England, Wales, and Scotland courtesy of that Dunblane kiddie-fondler and his enablers. Perhaps the government had a moment of clarity and realized that given the wide range of illegal firearms available to sectarian groups despite there being laws against them that it would be largely pointless to even try to stick their nose into legitimate shooting sports.
NOT the Gov't having a moment of clarity - it was down to the then NI Secretary - she put forward almost exactly the same arguments as mainland shooters had given against the ban; but as she was putting her point across from IN Gov't she was listened to.

Aside from the legitimate target shooters of NI, there are/were a LOT of individuals with FAC's there (for personal protection handguns).
Used to send quite a few BHP's that way when I was with BrowningUK

It MAY also have been a case of the bleeding obvious too - in that all the then already current Firearms Acts had made very little difference to the availability of small-arms in the province; and even the Eire Gov't had plans in place for supplying .303 rifles if the need/opportunity arose
ordnance

#16 Post by ordnance »

People here blame the people that carry out murders not what they use firearm knife bomb etc. So even if there is a shooting here using a legally owned firearm there is not the same shout for firearms control among the politicians and civilians, like there is in the rest of the UK. So it wasn't even in the news at the time here that the handgun ban was not extending to N Ireland.
Death2Ticks

#17 Post by Death2Ticks »

I suspect the reason why handguns weren't banned in Northern Ireland maybe had something to do with how proportionally (by comparison to the rest of the UK) widespread ownership was. In other words, there were too many gun owners for the politicians to take on; I remember in 1981 watching the BBC news footage of Ian Paisley leading a large crowd in waving their FACs and pledging to be ready to be recruited "under the crown" to defend the Union. Perhaps, the Government wanted to hedged their bets.

I was also suprised on reading the Firearm Guidance when I came over here that "personal protection" was a valid reason (as saddler said above).
ordnance

#18 Post by ordnance »

I was also suprised on reading the Firearm Guidance when I came over here that "personal protection" was a valid reason (as saddler said above).
You can if you are a x member of the security forces, but its difficult for civilian to get one unless they are under specific threat.
SevenSixTwo

#19 Post by SevenSixTwo »

The threat has to be specific for both serving and retired security forces as well as civilians. NIO makes no distinction.
ordnance

#20 Post by ordnance »

The threat has to be specific for both serving and retired security forces as well as civilians. NIO makes no distinction
I know plenty of x prison officers and others that bring their PPW to the range. Talking to them,few are under a specific threat, just possible threat because of their past occupations. As for security force members all serving police have their service firearms as PPW,s when of duty. There are currently 3,500 PPW,s In N Ireland, there were around 10,000 at one time. PS I forgot to add politicians.
The PSNI’s Personal Protection Weapon policy states: “The procedures for dealing with applications to possess a PPW must take account of the unique and individual circumstances surrounding each application and that protecting the life of the applicant is a concern that must be balanced against that of the safety of the public and the peace and the general undesirability to have handguns for personal protection