Guess what this is...

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
Ovenpaa

Re: Guess what this is...

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

It is the outboard part of a cat head (spider) with a bore capable of taking diameters up to 50,0mm - I will screw it to a camlock plate for ease of change over.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dougan

#12 Post by Dougan »

ovenpaa wrote:It is the outboard part of a cat head (spider) with a bore capable of taking diameters up to 50,0mm - I will screw it to a camlock plate for ease of change over.
Well that's cleared that one up then :good:

*no idea what Dave's talking about*
Alpha1

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

signfunnypost. lol
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

I will add a picture once it is finished, right now I am still battling the end of stinking cold and cough and have a couple of rifle builds and a load of comparators to wrap up however I would hope to get it finished over the next week or so.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

So this is what I the material was for, it is now fitted to the cam lock plate, machined to diameter and bored to 55,0mm which should cater for most things. Next job is to machine 4 flats lengthways across the minor external diameter and then drill and tap for the screws. There is a 6" rule on top for scale.

The repeatability of the cam lock is very impressive, I marked up the master pin to the back plate so it will always be returned to the same place however testing it in all three positions shows a maximum indicated run out of a tenth (0.0001") at the out board end. Better than I could have hoped for wallhead

Only odd thing is making something that is not shiny, in fact I ran all the finishing cuts in with quite high feed rates or it would have taken for ever to finish, despite this the surface finish is acceptable.
Spider.JPG
/d

Shed Journal
Dougan

#16 Post by Dougan »

To be honest I'm still not 100% sure what it's for.....but I'm always impressed by your engineering; especially as it's all done in your shed :p
Ovenpaa

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

The Shed is rather nicely equipped these days lol

It is a sophisticated version of this, designed to hold a barrel or receiver very accurately for threading, chambering and blueprinting.

/d

Shed Journal
Dougan

#18 Post by Dougan »

Arrh I get it now...

...I know you're well set-up, but it's still impressive for a 'cottage industry' (hope you don't mind me referring to the SHED like that...)
Alpha1

#19 Post by Alpha1 »

The one in the picture how long is it.Whats the internal diameter.
Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

Dougan wrote:Arrh I get it now...

...I know you're well set-up, but it's still impressive for a 'cottage industry' (hope you don't mind me referring to the SHED like that...)
Things are about to change with a new workshop and location for 2015 :p

Alpha1 wrote:The one in the picture how long is it.Whats the internal diameter.
First or second picture?
/d

Shed Journal