Bisley fire forming

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

Re: Bisley fire forming

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am about to take a picture of it to post up and I was rather hoping the Viking would pass comment at some point :D
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#12 Post by dodgyrog »

John25 wrote:You know that it takes years to get things changed at Bisley.

Perhaps the notice is still relevant?

Anyway, it all comes to a stop in September when, according to Dr. Pizer, I shall be too old to be of any further use to the NRA/NSC.

Any further comment could possibly be construed as disloyal? :?
Hopefully he'll fall on his sword before then!!!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
John25

#13 Post by John25 »

We used to lose, I suspect, possibly up to 5% of a days takings by people not coming back to pay and chasing them up was an administrative nightmare.

About a year after I started in the Range Office, we closed the outer road to Short Siberia.

Bookings there doubled overnight and it was TWO YEARS before 'customers' came in to complain that the road was closed!

Non payers are still regularly caught by Les at Melville, I caught a few myself at week-ends.

It is theft and you and I have to pay the cost.

I believe Dr. Pizer is older than I.

I am quite looking forward to being no longer an employee, I shall still (until voted out) be a member of General Council. ;) ;) ;)
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

John25 wrote:Non payers are still regularly caught by Les at Melville, I caught a few myself at week-ends.

It is theft and you and I have to pay the cost.

I believe Dr. Pizer is older than I.

I am quite looking forward to being no longer an employee, I shall still (until voted out) be a member of General Council. ;) ;) ;)
It is theft, it means we as NRA members see less money being invested in the facilities and the site deserves better and I am surprised your estimate it as low as 5%

Lets do our best to make sure you stay on the General Council for as long as possible then ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#15 Post by IainWR »

ovenpaa wrote:
The plan was to fireform brass, chrono and run a ladder load at 200 yards on Century, unfortunately we had to go to Siberia 200 so no chance to chrono as the FP is on a raised bank.
Hi

Bit puzzled by that - was Century really so full today that you couldn't have a target at 200? And, not wishing to be awkward, but chrono could be done at 100 on Siberia or 300 on Century, no? Did you actually explain what you were after? And if you did, what options were offered?

Iain
John25

#16 Post by John25 »

Chrono could be done on the zero range, Short Siberia 100, Century 1 - 600 (given known fall of shot and range echelon) butt zero, (90 or so yards) and Stickledown (given known fall of shot etc)

Generally the Range Office are amenable, did they turn you away after you had explained?
Gun rhymes with fun.

John

Ovenpaa

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

The booking was for Century 200 however they bumped us to Siberia 200, I did say I wanted to chrono but they said there were no frames up at 200 and next move would be possibly 300 on Century however that involved a lot of face pulling. I wanted to bracket my existing load with a ladder to confirm where I was given the slight change in profile of the new Hybrids. It turned out that my previous load for the 180 targets gives the same results with hybrids.

Siberia was full at 100/200 which was to be expected given the close proximity to the Phoenix this coming weekend.

Yet again I noticed 'fellow shooters' being extremely short with the range office and markers. No, they were downright rude to them. I know we have gone to shoot and pay accordingly but a little bit of courtesy goes a long way. Be nice to the markers!

Do you ever get any feedback from the markers or range office staff about the way they have been treated by the members?
/d

Shed Journal
John25

#18 Post by John25 »

I worked for six years in the range office.

The vast majority of customers were indifferent, we were just part of the service and the furniture.

Some, by their very nature (10%?) were considerate, understanding and a pleasure to serve.

Some, also by their very nature, found fault with everything, failed to grasp the concept of 'No Sir, you can't do that because.....' and were just downright bloody rude.

It remains the same, best contenders for membership of the 'bloody ignorant' brigade are ......

(I'll tell you in October)

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Gun rhymes with fun.

John

bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#19 Post by bobbob »

After reading how some shooter behave towards staff I realise why sometimes thing are a bit "awkward" when our club gets to Short Siberia. Our club all shoot prone and on more than one occasion we have set up and had people turn up and try to shoot from the benches immediately behind us. We do sometimes wonder if what they have booked wasn't what they intended to do. :!:
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

I can see a few beers will be in Order come October :)

Personally I would say get a black book, write the names of the offenders in it and deal with them accordingly ;)
/d

Shed Journal