Pistols

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Robin128

Re: Pistols

#11 Post by Robin128 »

As I recall, the flash over risk between chambers is mitigated by using tallow or grease smeared over the loaded chambers.

All good BP ranges have well experienced RCOs to guide one thru misfires etc. In addition, there are usually guidance notes in the club house.

There is quite a bit of history around the various revolvers. There different patterns...some have a top strap over the cylinder like the Remington others not, like the Colts.

BP guns must be boiled out after each use...cleaned and dried and then oiled.

It's great fun casting the balls.

:)
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#12 Post by Mike357 »

We found out recently when some club members did their RCO course that it doesn't qualify them to RCO BP. You have to do a separate course run by MLAGB.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Dougan

#13 Post by Dougan »

Robin128 wrote:As I recall, the flash over risk between chambers is mitigated by using tallow or grease smeared over the loaded chambers.

All good BP ranges have well experienced RCOs to guide one thru misfires etc. In addition, there are usually guidance notes in the club house.

There is quite a bit of history around the various revolvers. There different patterns...some have a top strap over the cylinder like the Remington others not, like the Colts.

BP guns must be boiled out after each use...cleaned and dried and then oiled.

It's great fun casting the balls.

:)

The 'flash over' was due to not enough grease - but again I think it was down to using a newly aquired pistol in a comp. I'm confident with all cartridge fired guns, but if I got a BP pistol (hope to dabble at some point), I would want 'one on one' instruction at the point.

As for being RO - It was a club comp, and I was told that it was ok - even though i've never used BP, I brushed up on proceedures for BP, and ran things on the side of caution. However, please let me know if this isn't ok, and i'll bring it up with the committee...
Doz

#14 Post by Doz »

douglas670 wrote:Hi all,
just a query about a reasonable priced second hand if need be Black powder pistol.

Not really caring about accuracy although might help, but was thinking along the lines of something that wouldnt rattle to bits/come loose etc etc.
I was intending of going for an American Civil war type namely the percussion colt walker, or navy models, are any makes better than others or what to avoid and is either the .44 or .36 favoured,?.
sorry for all the questions just trying to gage what make/type calibre to go for.
having given my black powder license up would be using pyrodex powders.
any help info greatly appreciated
Douglass
In my experience the words 'Colt', 'black powder' and 'accuracy' should never be mentioned in the same sentence! ;) I have several repros in both .36 and .44 and none of them shoot anywhere near point of aim no matter what I do! The Walkers and Dragoons are darn heavy to shoot for any period of time too. The Rogers & Spencer and Remington revolvers usually seem to be much better shooters and are much more common in competition. As for manufacturers, Pedersoli and Euroarms generally seem to be better built than some of the others - they also cost more of course... As for Pyrodex, on your own head be it! :) The first time you forget to clean the revolver after you've shot it it'll have a bore like the surface of the moon!
Ovenpaa

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

The NRA also do a separate BP RO course. You would need a BP qualified RO if you were shooting on Defence Estates land, for private ranges it is down to the individual club and some may feel that a normal RO will suffice. Bisley is slightly different as you act as an RO for yourself if you are shooting informally, having said that I often discover when at Bisley that the people I am shooting next to are also RO's.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Doz

#16 Post by Doz »

Just to add a little more confusion to the mix, when the club where I shoot BP was 'signed off' by the MOD or the Home Office or whoever it was fifteen years or so ago, they specified that RCOs had to have both the MLAGB and NSRA RCO qualification. I assume that was because the range was also used by small-bore rifles (although never at the same time) but it always seemed bizarre to me. The reverse does not appear to be the case though, ie the small-bore RCOs have never needed to take the MLAGB qualification. I'd be very interested to find out what the letter of the law is on this one if anyone knows.
Dougan

#17 Post by Dougan »

When I ran the BP comp I was the competition secretary (gave it up this year due to work/study), which is how I ended up doing it without using a BP pistol myself - it was a private club comp at a private range, so from what you guys have said I don't think it was wrong...but still worth raising at the next committee meeting. Thank you for the information (this site is a 'mine' of information :) )

Later in the year the club is paying for a few of us to do the full RO course at Bisley, so we can help out at the outdoor shoots (depending on who turns up the current ROs don't get much chance to shoot)....but from what I read on another topic, the instructors can be quite strict :shock: :P
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

#18 Post by ResearchPress »

Robin128 wrote:BP guns must be boiled out after each use...cleaned and dried and then oiled.
Boiling is not necessary. Yes they need cleaning, and this is to remove the black powder residue that absorbs moisture and consequently can damage the bore.

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
Robin128

#19 Post by Robin128 »

I found scrubbing the barrel with boiling water soon shifted the crud.

:D
Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

I remember pouring boiling water down mine the first time and nearly dropping it! That was a lesson learnt.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal