1000 /1200 yard chambering on 308 bolt face?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: 1000 /1200 yard chambering on 308 bolt face?

#11 Post by 20series »

tikkathreebarrels wrote:Finally, finally, got my local FLA coming for a visit next week. He'll see the empty space where all the "collect and occasional use" 22 training rifles used to be (just got the Enfield No.8 to decide whether to sell or keep) and we'll get down to brass tacks on a variation for a long range fullbore calibre, so...

any advance on .284? I note one vote for 6.5x284, any other suggestions? Should I ask for 338 LapMag and see what happens?

The trouble is you're limited for places to use a 338!! 300 WinMag is a possible alternative,
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

tikkathreebarrels wrote:any advance on .284? I note one vote for 6.5x284, any other suggestions? Should I ask for 338 LapMag and see what happens?
I am sure Spud will give the thumbs up for 6,5x284 as I do. The other one I was impressed with recently was the .260 and do keep thinking about it.

.338LM - as 20series says, range access can be a bit of a problem, they are expensive to shoot and they do kick a bit, certainly not a rifle to put 100 rounds down range on a Saturday morning if you are running hot loads.

Having said that would I have a TRG41/42 chambered in .338LM? Hell yeah! 8-)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DaveT

#13 Post by DaveT »

ovenpaa wrote:
tikkathreebarrels wrote:any advance on .284? I note one vote for 6.5x284, any other suggestions? Should I ask for 338 LapMag and see what happens?
I am sure Spud will give the thumbs up for 6,5x284 as I do. The other one I was impressed with recently was the .260 and do keep thinking about it.

.338LM - as 20series says, range access can be a bit of a problem, they are expensive to shoot and they do kick a bit, certainly not a rifle to put 100 rounds down range on a Saturday morning if you are running hot loads.

Having said that would I have a TRG41/42 chambered in .338LM? Hell yeah! 8-)
338 LM doesn't kick hard if it has enough weight and a decent muzzle break.... my one was made by Dave Wylde of Valkyrie rifles (338 bore but I think it is a 50 cal border barrel) , runs a near-max load and you CAN shoot it all day without any problem at all (kicks the same as my old 270 used to) ..... if you can afford to!
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

I shot next to Tommy of this forum last year and I am confident he put 100+ .338LM down the range in a day without adverse effect, I cannot remember id he had an MB fitted. I also shot a folding stocked TRG42 the next day with factory Lapua ammunition and every time I took a shot my contact lens bounced around. At the time I thought it was due to the recoil but it turned out to be the cheep pad was set very high and I was having to get a very tight cheek weld, I had the same issue with another rifle later on and dropping the pad a bit resolved the issue.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
tikkathreebarrels

#15 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

Okay so I need to mind me joules.
284 sounds so boring though, I'll have a peep at Mr Ackley's little book of wisdom and see if he worked his charms.
Now 7mm Short Action Ultra Mag: that sounds sexy doesn't?
Ovenpaa

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

The 7mm SAUM is a cracking cartridge, if you want to know more about building rounds for it shout as it is an involved but interesting process that gives a very accurate end result.
/d

Shed Journal
tikkathreebarrels

#17 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

ovenpaa wrote:The 7mm SAUM is a cracking cartridge, if you want to know more about building rounds for it shout as it is an involved but interesting process that gives a very accurate end result.

Thanks I will. I'm into this article here:
http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html#284win

Is it .308 case headed?
But the zillion dollar question has got to be: one gun for 600 yards to 1200 yards - .284 or 7mm Saum?
Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

tikkathreebarrels wrote:Is it .308 case headed?
But the zillion dollar question has got to be: one gun for 600 yards to 1200 yards - .284 or 7mm Saum?
Yes the .284 has a .308 bolt face and I would have to say go for the .284 or possibly the .284 Shehane (Along the same lines as the AI) The .284 gets you into the high BC bullets such as Berger and to a lesser degree the 175SMK and they can be pushed quite fast in the Shehane form with better barrel life than the SAUM.

Certainly a 1200 yard round.
/d

Shed Journal
spud

#19 Post by spud »

well i shoot most of the calibres mentioned so far (.243ai, 6.5-284 and soon the .284) and you can fire form all of them with out even make a too big a bang.
R.G.C

#20 Post by R.G.C »

ovenpaa wrote:
tikkathreebarrels wrote:Is it .308 case headed?
Yes the .284 has a .308 bolt face and I would have to say go for the .284 or possibly the .284 Shehane (Along the same lines as the AI) The .284 gets you into the high BC bullets such as Berger and to a lesser degree the 175SMK and they can be pushed quite fast in the Shehane form with better barrel life than the SAUM.

Certainly a 1200 yard round.
Coming late into this thread, I would mention calibres based on an initial Laurie Ingram's idea and that we developpedd together.

Laurie and I were alwayys advocating short neck cartriges, as they show many advantages, two of them being better contact neck/chamber for better gas leak proof , better concentricity control, this added to some metalurgical advantages.

Also, syandard loading tools cabn be used (although custom sizing die is preferable, and a .260 Remington chamber can simply be reamed to .260 Inch. Same for the.284 INCH who can be created from a 7-08 cjamber.

The principle consist of moving forward the shoulder to reduce aboutt by half the neck lenght, keeping the same shoulder angle, but increasing the case capacity. The aim was to obtain performance similar to 6,5 x .284, although making it more barrel throat friendly, uwing .308 cases available in quantity.
Resuts obtained by Laurie were excellent, but the development stopped with Laurie's death.
This start again in australia, where the .260 INCH reamers are now on loan there yp Action Clear/Woody E,gineering, and there too results are excellent, as well as here where the Lauries .260 INCH, INCH-actionned rifle is again used.
On the same concept, I developped the .284 INCH, several rifles start their cereer here with also encouraging results.
Basically, the .260 INCH has a 3,5mm shorrter neck than the .260 Remington, and the .284 has it 3,7mm shorter than the 7-08 Winchester...
A tip for the gunsmiths: .308 chamber gaughes can be used for chamber gauging, simply addin a 3,5 or 3,7mm spacer at the rear...simple.and accurate
R.G.C