Question for the Cap 'n' Balling Ladies and Gentlemen

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

John25

Re: Question for the Cap 'n' Balling Ladies and Gentlemen

#11 Post by John25 »

Almost forgot - Durrr! :oops:

Some swear by semolina as a filler on top of the powder.
Sim G

#12 Post by Sim G »

Did loads of experimenting with B/P revolvers when we lost cartridge handguns. Over powder wad and a tight ball. Grease, semolena, ground rice or whatever, as well as unburnt powder flying down the barrel on either side of a ball cannot be condusive to accuracy!

I have an article in a book somewhere, when Jeff Cooper and some other shooters in California before IPSC, shot B/P revolvers out to 300 yards with surprising results!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
John25

#13 Post by John25 »

Like I said, tight balls are best. :twisted:
Tower75

#14 Post by Tower75 »

Sim G wrote:Did loads of experimenting with B/P revolvers when we lost cartridge handguns. Over powder wad and a tight ball. Grease, semolena, ground rice or whatever, as well as unburnt powder flying down the barrel on either side of a ball cannot be condusive to accuracy!

I have an article in a book somewhere, when Jeff Cooper and some other shooters in California before IPSC, shot B/P revolvers out to 300 yards with surprising results!
300 yards!? :G ... with a BP revolver? Do you know if it was modified in anyway, or an off-the-shelf job?
Tower75

#15 Post by Tower75 »

dromia - going back to beeswax wads, would the type used in candle making be alright to use do you think? I was thinking - they come in sheets and should be easy to punch into .44cal circles.

Regards
T
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#16 Post by dromia »

That should be fine.

I like to use beekeeping foundation sheets, just because that was what I knew about, having kept bees, when I was looking for sheets for handloading.

I get the stuff from here:

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgi ... =221770718

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Tower75

#17 Post by Tower75 »

dromia wrote:That should be fine.

I like to use beekeeping foundation sheets, just because that was what I knew about, having kept bees, when I was looking for sheets for handloading.

I get the stuff from here:

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgi ... =221770718
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#18 Post by dromia »

You are welcome, let us know how you get on. :D

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Tower75

#19 Post by Tower75 »

Just wanted to say thanks. I got some wax from your link. I took the .44 out today for it's first "proper" range visit.

I discount firing two cylinders at a 50 yard target "just to see what happens" as a "proper" visit to the range ;)

I took it to my club's 25 yard range. I cut some wax wads from the beeswax sheets I ordered. SO much easier and quicker then smearing grease or lard over the chamber mouths - plus, as an added "cool factor", the wax glows when you fire - that's right, got me my own tracer rounds.

It took me one shot to find the sweet-point of where to aim, after that I was happily peppering the board all day. I wouldn't say I was grouping, but every shot was a "hit", so I got the Indian/Rebel/Yanky/Russian [insert historical enemy]

However, the shot of the day was on a small empty 500ml bottle of water. I placed the bottle on the target's wooden stand, and aimed low, very low, because I seemed to be shooting high all day. Squeezed the trigger and blew the thing away - from 25 yards with a cap 'n' ball revolver. Check out my mad cowboy skills ;) :lol: 8-)

I had no right at all to hit the thing - when I aimed at the paper-target, always keeping my aiming point constant, the revolver was spitting balls in a scattered pattern - there's no logical explanation as to how I could put a ball through a 500ml bottle at 25 yards with the first shot.

Remember - I missed the 1997 ban, I never got to play with handguns, so I'm learning now. I was amazed a handgun could do that.

I think I'll keep her.

Regards
T
Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sounds like a good days shooting, time to post a picture of it?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal