New target rifle... thoughts?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Mr_Logic

Re: New target rifle... thoughts?

#11 Post by Mr_Logic »

Indeed, I am a fan of the accutrigger, it's great.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#12 Post by Mike357 »

You are clearly a fan of Savage so I say go Savage. Get Osprey to build you a custom gun around a Savage action and get a quality barrel and stock.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Gun Pimp

#13 Post by Gun Pimp »

20series wrote:
the only odd thing is the opening for the chamber on the left.

Alan
Why wouldn't you want the feed/ejection port where you can see it?

Vince
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#14 Post by 20series »

Gun Pimp wrote:
20series wrote:
the only odd thing is the opening for the chamber on the left.

Alan
Why wouldn't you want the feed/ejection port where you can see it?

Vince
Vince

I'm not saying it's wrong, just different :good:

I haven't shot one with that set up, so I can't say one way or the other about better or not. It was simply an observation

Alan :cheers:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

I shot with Stuart's left right feed, right eject F/TR rifle a few years ago and it felt odd but equally very good and quite a logical way to shoot.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#16 Post by 1066 »

I shoot a couple of single shot Savage's. One is a standard 12F in 6.5x284, the other is 6mmBR and built up from bits. I bought the action from North West custom parts, the barrel is a Shilen select match, 1 in 8 with 4 groove ratchet rifling. I bought direct from Shilen as a personal import, the trigger is a Riflebasix Sav-2 and the stock is a Richards microfit semi-finished.

They both shoot very well and I'm pleased with them. I find the accu-trigger on the 6.5 is a bit temperamental if you try and set it too light but I really like the Riflebasix Sav-2 trigger.

I like the action, it's strong and rigid, it has a fast locktime, I like the fact that I can swap the barrels and set the headspace myself and design items like the floating bolthead and a solid recoil lug all contribute to the legendary "out of the box" accuracy.

The heavy bolt lift often associated with Savages can easily be fixed with a simple modification.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Ovenpaa

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

1066 wrote:The heavy bolt lift often associated with Savages can easily be fixed with a simple modification.
The Accutrigger can be quirky if you close the bolt too quickly, a quick lift of the bolt resets it though and the second blade is easily removed if needed. I have put a dozen rounds max through Christel's Match and have to admit I don’t remember what the bolt lift is like, out of interest do you have any details of the modification?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
sanselm

#18 Post by sanselm »

You'd love to do this one David, you need a 38 special case, cut off the base and glue in a ball bearing into the primer pocket, then shorten the bolt assembly screw by the thickness of the 38 case, approx 100 thou. Put it all back together and you have a lighter bolt lift.
Ovenpaa

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

Thanks for that Stuart, we are off to DK in a couple of hours time so I will make a mental note and have a play when we get back. :good:
/d

Shed Journal
sanselm

#20 Post by sanselm »

Enjoy your holiday, I am just back from the states, sat in Gatwick as we speak waiting to fly up north. Back to the grindstone!