Bench Rest / Support Bags

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Polchraine

Re: Bench Rest / Support Bags

#11 Post by Polchraine »

DIY does sound a good way, but in this case they may well be a birthday present - so still need a recommendation. Injection moulding pellets sounds a good option for filling - just need to find a local source.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#12 Post by snayperskaya »

Polchraine wrote:DIY does sound a good way, but in this case they may well be a birthday present - so still need a recommendation. Injection moulding pellets sounds a good option for filling - just need to find a local source.
I'm on summer shutdown for 2 weeks now but when I go back I can see if I can get you some if you like.They are pretty good as once in the bag it forms nicely around the forend of a rifle.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#13 Post by channel12 »

Polchraine wrote:DIY does sound a good way, but in this case they may well be a birthday present - so still need a recommendation. Injection moulding pellets sounds a good option for filling - just need to find a local source.
I filled a small bag with budget rice from the supermarket, it didn't make the bag too heavy.
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#14 Post by snayperskaya »

channel12 wrote:
I filled a small bag with budget rice from the supermarket, it didn't make the bag too heavy.
One advantage of the plastic pellets over rice is that they don't have the possibility of rotting if the bag gets damp.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#15 Post by channel12 »

But unlike plastic pellets rice is biodegradable or could be used for a curry, or rice pudding depending on the type of rice ! lol
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#16 Post by dromia »

I use tumbling media, walnut.

Light and forms shape well, I use the cloth cash bags tied at the neck with a re useable cable tie.

But just like rice and such things don't let it get wet as it can expand alarmingly and burst the bag.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

The Wife has made me gun slips in the past using different materials one of them being Military ponchos the material is water proof and lasts. I mentioned it to her to night and she still has material left. She is going to make me some support bags in different sizes.
I also quite like Adams idea. I used to own a Hackney carriage business I used to give the drivers the cloth cash bags to keep there takings in. I still have some so I will try filling one and see how it goes.
Triffid
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#18 Post by Triffid »

I use empty .22RF cases to fill my bags.
Nice weight to them and they don't rot!
Triffid
Alpha1

#19 Post by Alpha1 »

The cash bags are in the washing machine. Her indoors is marking out for front and rear bags. She is bored I feel a cottage industry in the making.
I asked if She thought it was doable I wont repeat how she told me to go away in Jerky movements. Basically the polite reply would of been of course I can.
Alpha1

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

Cash bags are out of the washing machine. I have been given instructions as to the fill levels so they can be stitched closed.
She is now ready to move on to the really fancy versions fully water proof and in all sorts of different sizes.
There is reason I have been married to this Lady for 47 years.