Deer calibre

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

Re: Deer calibre

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

dromia wrote: I agree wholeheartedly with Scotsguns take on this, especially the new calibres fad, the only thing I would add is that the venerable 6.5 x 55 Swedish is also worth consideration.

<snip>

.308" newfangled round never seen the point of it, just like jacketed bullets and smokeless powder it'll never catch on. :55:
The 6,5x55SE is very popular over here in Denmark for hunting, it is kind to the barrel and is an incredibly accurate round. There are exceptions of course, I know of two people using .338 Win Mag for larger deer, one a couple of days ago was telling me he runs a 250 grain bullet at 900m/sec. My view is such a bullet would all but vaporise smaller beasts.

I was looking for a sigh smilie for your comments on .308.... :wave:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G

#12 Post by Sim G »

The 6.5 Creedmore is a cartridge that I have been looking at quite a bit for when my RPA comes up for a rebarrel. It may be adequate for game, but it was designed from the outset as a target cartridge.

Hornady at the moment are the only ones that make dies and cases for it. They designed the cartridge. I believe they are the only ones that currently make factory ammo as well. If you could get it in the UK, then it would be expensive! Likewise, there are very few manufacturers that offer the caliber in factory guns. Ruger and Savage are the only two at the minute I think.

Perhaps not a top choice for UK deer....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

ovenpaa wrote:
I was looking for a sigh smilie for your comments on .308.... :wave:
Someone has to keep the faith amongst all you fashionistas. :D

Remember cartridge populariy has or had a lot to do with military rounds and the availability fo cheap ammo as a consequence. Me I'd sooner shoot 30-06 than 308 it is a far more flexible round but the military wanted shorter cartridges for shorter actions and so squaddies could carry more ammo and that was taken to its extreme with the .223". However that does not necessarily make them better cartridges for civilian applications. If I was ever to have a bench gun made then I would do it in .303" British secure in the knowledge that I wouldn't be disadvantaged calibre wise on the firing point.

There is very little truly new in shooting.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
sanselm

#14 Post by sanselm »

Nice calibre choice Dromia, I suspect the 303 has dropped more Reds is Scotland than people care to remember, however going back to the discussion I agree with Scotsguns first couple of points and most of third third point. I think the 243 is a poor choice for a lot of people through no fault of its own though, the majority of factory rifles in 243 have too slow a twist for the 100 gr bullet which is what spoils it for most people.

As for the new fangled stuff well it has to start somewhere and you have to look at the reasons behind it. The 6.5 bullet is my preferred all round bullet choice for deer in the Uk as I choose to own only one rifle for stalking. With that in mind I then look to the chamber that will deliver the required 6.5 bullet at suitable velocities & accuracy etc. The 260 Rem is a youngster at 14 years old but is after all only the same as a 243 in that it is a 308 necked down so hardly revolutionary. The 6.5 Creedmore is ballistically in the same ball park and is aiming to give you 6.5 x 55 performance from a short action, given the choice, faced with a short action there is nothing to choose between the 260 or the Creedmore, I would be happy to use either. In fact another indicator is that Savage make the 260 and the 6.5 Creedmore in their factory hunting rifles and so as the largest manufacturer of bolt action rifles in the world they probably hope that they catch on!! - Both are available as factory loaded ammunition as is the brass. (& the dies)

Scotsgun, would you care to expand on the 260 - you say that you have one but don't use it, why is that? I have a Cooper (rimfire) and it is a lovely rifle so is it the calibre, accuracy or just not the rifle you pick up out of the cabinet?

FWIW my rifle is a 6.5 x 55 Sauer - a true all rounder.
sanselm

#15 Post by sanselm »

SIM G - just looked at the price of 6.5 Creedmore and the 129gr SST is about £150 a hundred, but I would think most people on here would reload, brass is about £90 a hundred RRP - but nobody pays that.
Mr_Logic

#16 Post by Mr_Logic »

I like both 6.5 calibres. Only trouble is brass potentially - think the 260 is easier to find?
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#17 Post by kennyc »

I still think, spend a few pounds on bullets in different weights and experiment with loads in the .308 :D as for .243 if you are thinking of re barrelling then rifling twist isnt a problem you can specify that to who ever does the work, the cover on the mods is a good idea too, you could also look at your stock to see if there is anything to be done as far as fit and perhaps a different recoil pad? of course if you are committed to the idea of a new calibre and all the expense and hassle that can entail good luck :D (try 7.5x55 :D )
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#18 Post by Sandgroper »

dromia wrote:
There is very little truly new in shooting.
Very true. If you look at the 6.5x47 and the 6.5 Creedmoor and then compare them with the 250 Savage AI. Looking at the 250 Savage and Ackley's Improved version you'd have wonder if Lapua and Hornady saw it and BINGO - new (old) cartridge! :lol:

6.5x47 - base 0.47 (11.95mm) rim 0.473 (12.01) case length 1.9 (47mm)

6.5 c/moor base 0.47 (11.95mm) rim 0.473 (12.01) case length 1.92 (48.8mm)

250 Sav AI base 0.47 (11.95mm) rim 0.473 (12.01) case length 1.912 (48.5mm)

6.5 x47 Case capacity 48 gn

6.5 Creedmoor Case capacity 53 gn

250 Savage AI Case capacity 52 gn

Sorry for the slight change in tack on this thread. :oops:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Robin128

#19 Post by Robin128 »

Anyone who can't take the battering from the recoil of bigger calibres should think about one of these...couldn't shoot a shotgun without it (sh1t of a shot with it 8-) )...that, or fit a T8 with a 'sock'. Don't be put off by the BS of how it looks etc...It's a dream to use.

It's a Gracoil...and if an accountant can fit it... ;)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2526 ... IL_REDUCER

Scotsgun

#20 Post by Scotsgun »

sanselm wrote:
Scotsgun, would you care to expand on the 260 - you say that you have one but don't use it, why is that? I have a Cooper (rimfire) and it is a lovely rifle so is it the calibre, accuracy or just not the rifle you pick up out of the cabinet?
Basically i don't have a use for it. It does absolutely nothing better that my existing rifles do, factory ammo is more expensive and i've found it more load fussy. Let me explain, i own the following:

Steyr SSG69 in 308win that i use to cull hinds out to maybe 500yds in the hills. Now before i get p*** and moaning from the armchair stalkers, i'm culling; not stalking and the British Govt spent alot of time and money ensuring that i'm accurate out well beyond this range. The objective is dropping quantity cleanly and without sufferring.
Tikka M65 in 25-06 that i use for the majority of my lowland stalking - woodland reds, sika, roe, fallow.
Heym in 270 for the rest of my hill stalking. Mostly red stags and occassionally sika.
Remington 700 (god forgive me) in 22-250 for fox and the occassional suicidal roe that is unfortunate to cross my path.

So, i bought it for a need that just isn't there, my 25-06 is much nicer to shoot and less expensive to feed. It's so cheap that i don't even bother to re-load for it now. 100 soft point privi rounds is only about £45 and their accurate enough to guarantee better than 1moa so why bother?

If i could only ever have one stalking rifle then i'd be hard pressed to decide between my 270 and my 25-06.