MEN ammo

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

FilippoMo

Re: MEN ammo

#11 Post by FilippoMo »

I never tried the ammo but cases are good got 1000 223 Remington from a german dealer long ago,they are all boxer primed.Unfortunately they no longer sell to civilians.
Sincerely
Filippo
Hauptman

#12 Post by Hauptman »

It's a bit late for my twopennorth, but if the MEN 7.62 ammo you're talking about is the stuff that's sold in "bricks" of 10 x 20rd. boxes in a green plastic case, then you would be advised to try a magnet on the heads. Some of this stuff is loaded with soft iron jacketed bullets with a thin plated copper film just enough to colour it and prevent it going rusty.
I wouldn't shoot this through a decent barrel...............
Steve E

#13 Post by Steve E »

Hauptman wrote:It's a bit late for my twopennorth, but if the MEN 7.62 ammo you're talking about is the stuff that's sold in "bricks" of 10 x 20rd. boxes in a green plastic case, then you would be advised to try a magnet on the heads. Some of this stuff is loaded with soft iron jacketed bullets with a thin plated copper film just enough to colour it and prevent it going rusty.
I wouldn't shoot this through a decent barrel...............
Copper washed steel jacketed ammunition has been around for a long time and will do absolutely no damage to your barrel. The steel jacket and the copper washing are softer than the the steel that your barrel is made of and will deform to the rifleling the same as 'normal' jacketed ammunition. For as long as I care to remember all of FNMs ammunition is steel jacketed copper washed and a great many people use it with no adverse effect on their barrels.

Steve
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

S&B .303 is copper washed and seems to work quite well for me.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Oddbod

#15 Post by Oddbod »

I've put a fair amount of this "tarnished" MEN through both L1A1 & Para FAL with absolutely no issues.
Some of it can be a tad grotty looking but a couple of hours in a vibratory cleaner with walnut media makes them presentable.
Ovenpaa

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have put a fair amount of it through my Accuracy International without any issues. I would be slightly wary of tumbling the ammunition as it may break the powder down slightly which could lead to different pressures, have you pulled a round after tumbling to see what the powder looks like and to check for any powdering?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Steve E

#17 Post by Steve E »

Oddbod
Do not tumble or vibrate loaded ammuntion. The Vibrating may/will break down the powder, changing its characteristics resulting in ammunition that could possbly be vastly overpressure and thus causing damage to you and your firearm and other shooters around you.
In my opinion you are being damn stupid and a liability to other shooters as well as your self if you tumble loaded ammunition and then shoot it.

Steve
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#18 Post by Strangely Brown »

Steve E wrote:Oddbod
Do not tumble or vibrate loaded ammuntion. The Vibrating may/will break down the powder, changing its characteristics resulting in ammunition that could possbly be vastly overpressure and thus causing damage to you and your firearm and other shooters around you.
In my opinion you are being damn stupid and a liability to other shooters as well as your self if you tumble loaded ammunition and then shoot it.

Steve
I would have to agree with Steve E on this one, "OO" fine wire wool cleans up the few affected rounds a treat.
Mick
Oddbod

#19 Post by Oddbod »

Steve E wrote:Oddbod

Steve
Tumbling doesn't break down propellant, period.
If ammunition was affected by vibration on the manner you suggest, then the military might wish to stop carrying boxes of it in moving vehicles.
A member of the FAL Files tumbled various makes & calibers of ammunition for up to a week & there was absolutely no change in either the physical appearance of the propellant, or the chronographed velocity of the ammunition.
One major supplier of surplus ammunition in the US was using electric cement mixers to tumble huge amounts of tarnished ammunition with ZERO problems.

Your opinion isn't based on facts & I object to being called stupid based on someone's groundless opinion.

I would appreciate an apology.
Oddbod

#20 Post by Oddbod »

ovenpaa wrote:.....have you pulled a round after tumbling to see what the powder looks like and to check for any powdering?
Yes & there was absolutely no breakdown from the half dozen cartridges we left running for a whole day.

Poured the propellant onto a coffee filter & shook it before tipping it off & there was no dust at all (same method used by the guy on the FAL Files a few years back).
When shot over the chronograph, there was no difference between tumbled & untouched rounds.