All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

Re: Conditions of use

#11 Post by Dellboy »

25Pdr wrote:
Tower.75 wrote:Here's a question, then, based on that. Dave, tell me to sod off if you feel like I'm jacking the thread.

Could you have a revolving .410 long barrel pistol?

Like the long barrel revolvers and pistols in .38 and .44, but chambered for a .410 - you'd be able to get at least 4-5 shots out of one. Wonder why no one's thought of it.
From the Rossi Website...

I believe you can have this on a Sec.1 ...(Might be wrong)... If you know of a UK dealer that imports them. It's takes 45 Colt and 410 Shotgun. Having a rifled barrel makes it a Firearm.

So if this was converted to a long barrel pistol ????
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#12 Post by Sandgroper »

Dave 101 wrote:I have just been having a look around the web and found a site advertising vermin control , in the gallery section theres a Scott arms .410 O/U shotgun pistol , I thought these were limited for use as humane destruction , the person here says they are good for vermin in and around buildings ,maybe .
The other thing I saw , a comment on the use of a 12 bore shotgun " to fire into the air with a sensible backstop " what would that be a cloud or a passing 747 :55:
Looks like a well presented site with plenty of info .

Dave
From the 1997 Act
Shot pistols used for shooting vermin.(1)The authority of the Secretary of State [F1or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998)] is not required by virtue of subsection (1)(aba) of section 5 of the 1968 Act for a person to have in his possession, or to purchase or acquire, or to sell or transfer, a shot pistol if he is authorised by a firearm certificate to have the shot pistol in his possession, or to purchase or acquire it, subject to a condition that it is only for use in connection with the shooting of vermin.
(2)For the purposes of this section, “shot pistol” means a smooth-bored gun which is chambered for .410 cartridges or 9mm rim-fire cartridges.
From the 1988 Act, A smooth bore revolver gun was made Section 5 except
(ad)any smooth-bore revolver gun other than one which is chambered for 9mm. rim-fire cartridges or loaded at the muzzle end of each chamber;
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Chuck

#13 Post by Chuck »

Mental..............Thefirearm rules are a dogs dinner. Like when FLO's fill their panies over 12g or .410 slug - or any slug for that matter...but happily grant paperwork for a rifle and ammo that can kill at over a mile....plain mental. Where's the logic, oh I forgot it's the UK.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#14 Post by Sandgroper »

Chuck wrote:Mental..............Thefirearm rules are a dogs dinner. Like when FLO's fill their panies over 12g or .410 slug - or any slug for that matter...but happily grant paperwork for a rifle and ammo that can kill at over a mile....plain mental. Where's the logic, oh I forgot it's the UK.
But haven't you got access to more slug than you know what to do with now? ;)

Sim G

#15 Post by Sim G »

There's loads of us in my club that have slug. For target shooting and game....

But as you say, mental. I can bang 12ga slug through a 10 shot Remy 870, but not 44-40 through an Uberti made Colt Lightning replica.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Porcupine

#16 Post by Porcupine »

Smells like bullshit to me; couldn't possibly stand up in court! A shotgun is defined in statue as as a smooth bore gun! Nothing about the kind of ammunition fired. The Taurus/Rossi revolvers are rifled, their bores couldn't be considered smooth by any stretch of the imagination. By that logic I could get any .45 caliber rifle on an SGC (that met mag and length restrictions) since it can fire .410 and is therefore a shotgun despite the rifling. Do they really want to make that ruling??
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#17 Post by meles meles »

Porcupine wrote: By that logic I could get any .45 caliber rifle on an SGC (that met mag and length restrictions) since it can fire .410 and is therefore a shotgun despite the rifling. Do they really want to make that ruling??

Now there's an interesting can of worms...

*licks lips*

(badgers like canned worms, saves a lot of digging if you can buy them tinned in tomato sauce at Tesco)
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

I always thought S2 shotgun catridges had to have a shot size not more than 9mm in diamater.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Porcupine

#19 Post by Porcupine »

ovenpaa wrote:I always thought S2 shotgun catridges had to have a shot size not more than 9mm in diamater.
That's correct, you'd need a FAC slot for .45 centerfire to get the ammo... but equally if I bought a Taurus Judge or some such on a FAC I'd only be able to get .45 Colt or whatever for it since that would be the caliber I'd write down on the form. You'd need an SGC to get .410 ammo, or a .410 slot on your FAC.

But supposing you had a .45 rifle on an SGC, you could use ammo from a .45 FAC slot and have yourself a rifle without all the lending and place-of-use restrictions that a FAC rifle would be subject to, and buy as many as you like without need for a variation!

It's all nonsense though because clearly a rifled gun that happens to accept .410 is not therefore a smooth bore!
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#20 Post by Sandgroper »

Porcupine wrote:Smells like bullshit to me; couldn't possibly stand up in court! A shotgun is defined in statue as as a smooth bore gun! Nothing about the kind of ammunition fired. The Taurus/Rossi revolvers are rifled, their bores couldn't be considered smooth by any stretch of the imagination. By that logic I could get any .45 caliber rifle on an SGC (that met mag and length restrictions) since it can fire .410 and is therefore a shotgun despite the rifling. Do they really want to make that ruling??
See the last three or so posts from this thread http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=10