Our Russian friend likes the SA80

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Michael Sproul

Re: Our Russian friend likes the SA80

#11 Post by Michael Sproul »

Watched it on my phone and it was very jumpy so it was very hard to see any detail. I'm probably the only person in the world who prefers a mag change on an SA80 to an AR/AK. They're slick once you're familiar, I prefer the fact the mag is dead close and under my arm too. I could never get away with that funky slide thing on the arse end of an AR. AK made me bleed so I took an instant dislike....
Tower75

#12 Post by Tower75 »

AK made me bleed so I took an instant dislike....
That's how you know they're working. :grin:
Michael Sproul

#13 Post by Michael Sproul »

A1 cocking handle used to bleed me aswell, I'm clearly just a tart!!
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

Any firearm that draws my blood goes down in my esteem. I had the chance to shoot a Desert Eagle chambered in .50AE many years ago, it was a 'deniable operation' as our range was not certified for such things, I stuffed a magazine in, racked the slide and caught my hand between the slide and breech which took a nice nip out of the side of my palm which bled profusely, I was not impressed. I was even less impressed when I fired the thing and handed it back with some relief when I had emptied the magazine.

Never again.

I was rash enough to shoot a .454 one afternoon as well, the grip was a poor fit for me and every shot left a feeling reminiscent of being smacked on the palm of the hand with a wooden rule. I put 50 rounds through it interspaced with some 9mm work and my son who had watched with interest asked if he could fire the last round. I remember standing behind him and bracing his arms with my hands, you get a very different perspective of the power of a handgun if you are ever silly enough to do this with a .454, the halo flash and muzzle blast was impressive!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

I was surprised when i saw the video as i thought their sale/distribution was extremely tightly restricted. Also the video claims it's an A2, but i though A2's have the comma shaped bolt handle rather that the spindle shaped one that gun has? Still like his videos though, absolutely crackers!
DVC
Steve E

#16 Post by Steve E »

Its not an L85A2 its an early premod A1. This is easily recognised as the magazine release does not have the shroud around it to prevent inadverdant release also it has the straight cocking handle. His weapon handling drills for the L85 are pretty awfull. Magazines are dead easy to change, as quick as M16/Ars and AKs. All drills are conducted over the rifle not faffing about the way he does. When cocking the weapon, you always 'forward assist' on the cocking handle.

Steve
Tower75

#17 Post by Tower75 »

When cocking the weapon, you always 'forward assist' on the cocking handle.
Civvie Question: What does "forward assist" mean? I only know that term when referring to that push-button on the ARs
DL.

#18 Post by DL. »

Tower.75 wrote:
Civvie Question: What does "forward assist" mean? I only know that term when referring to that push-button on the ARs
In order to ensure the bolt is fully forward on the A1, and that the locking spleens are correctly located, you raise your hand over the top of the rifle, and give the bolt handle a tap forward to make it all come together when you've just made ready (chambered a round).
Tower75

#19 Post by Tower75 »

sign92
Steve E

#20 Post by Steve E »

Tower.75 wrote:
When cocking an L85, pull cocking handle to rear and release, then push forward on cocking handle to ensure that the round that the bolt has picked up from the magazine is 'fully' in the chamber. The L85 bolt has multiple lugs and splines(like ARs) and have been known to not fully feed a round. Forward assisting ensures that the round is chambered. Checking the position of the cocking handle and 'forward assisting' is the first I.A Drill (Immediate Action) that you carry out if the rifle stops firing. Or to put it another way its what the 'forward assist' button on an AR does but the AR has'nt got a cocking handle just a 'T' piece.

Steve