Practical shotgunning

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

John MH

Re: Practical shotgunning

#11 Post by John MH »

Well thanks for pointing that out, wouldn't want to get into any trouble now would we.
johngarnett
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#12 Post by johngarnett »

John
At least perhaps I could look at it? - even if you hold it for me........!
Thank you for the offer.
See you dreckly
JohnG
PS belated birthday greetings!
saddler

#13 Post by saddler »

...Aye - best be careful - ya never know who is watching! :squirrel: :shifty: fingerscrossed

Now, a S.2 SG - different kettle of fish!!

I can bring an Ithaca 37 you can try, possibly a couple of others - depends where/when you are attending a shoot.
Carlisle usually best for me, but I can travel north/south of Edinburgh, etc. (had my inoculations years back!!) bigteeth
Dangermouse

#14 Post by Dangermouse »

Don't forget to also request permission for a quantity of slug to be added to your FAC as well, how much you will be allowed depends on your FET and appears to vary widely.
I would suggest that at the very least you look at a competition that you are likely to shoot and add up the shot count then double it as you may need to practise before the comp.
We hear horror stories of shooters only being allowed one box at a time which is clearly nonsense. If you look at the target shotgun events held at Bisley, we shoot 3 different courses of fire, all with slug at around 30 shots a course of fire,

DM
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

Don't forget if you do go for the M2 buy the FAC short magazine version, NOT the long magazine or practical/tactical versions!

The short mag version allows you to simply screw on any mag extension length you want :good: Most people get the 24" barrelled short mag version then add a Nordic Components +6 mag extension as that brings it almost level with the barrel. A +7 can be used but you will end up with a burnt mag extension.

The long mag version is FIXED at 7+1 which instantly puts you at a 1 cartridge disadvantage for any Option 1 or Option 2 start, never mind if it was a long course of fire that would allow you cram in 10+. If you want to get around this you (or a gunsmith) will have to hacksaw off the end of the magazine to give you access to the threads for attaching a mag extension. :bad:

Do not buy the practical or tactical models either as these often also have fixed mag tubes, iron sights (ghost ring which while are great for shooting slug are slower for aiming than just a standard bead for bird/buck shot). They also sometimes have a ported barrel which would bump you into Modified division, whereas the most 'action' is in Standard.

ATB

Mark
DVC
Sim G

#16 Post by Sim G »

My M2 Practical has a non fixed mag tube and is 9 + 1.....

As for the Ghost Ring rear sight, it's exactly that "ghost". Concentrate on the front sight and the rear ring "disappears". I've found it just as quick as a bead, so much so, I've shot clays with it.

Now I was thinking about Practical Shotgun, but mentioning the ported barrel putting it into the Modified Devision, left me with a bit of a conundrum........ If by the nature of it, it's in the Mod, what else can be done to it for that Division? If I'm in it, I may as well take full advantages of "modifications"!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#17 Post by Blackstuff »

If you can extend the mag on yours; in Modified division you can do an Option 1 start with 14 in the gun . . . . :twisted:
DVC