Generators.....advice please

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Jenks

Re: Generators.....advice please

#11 Post by Jenks »

Phil/ Polchraine..
Thank you for the advice I don't doubt that which you say, you are both far better qualified than I. I think that when I have my 'genny' sorted out or indeed, if I get a new one I will look into getting a manual switch fitted. Thanks :good:

Jenks.
Andy632

#12 Post by Andy632 »

I've got a 6kw Kipor Diesel which cost less than £700 and will run all night on a tankfull of red diesel. More than adequate for domestic emergency use.
Jenks

#13 Post by Jenks »

Andy632 wrote:I've got a 6kw Kipor Diesel which cost less than £700 and will run all night on a tankfull of red diesel. More than adequate for domestic emergency use.
Andy..

How long have you had it? And how is it connected to your ring mains?

Jenks
Scotsgun

#14 Post by Scotsgun »

Thanks for the advice folks - especially the safety advice.

So essentially, provided i keep to the essentials of heating, lighting and a few appliances (fridge/freezer, etc) i can get away with maybe a 6kV diesel generator, which i should get wired in professionally with a manual switch over.
Polchraine

#15 Post by Polchraine »

Scotsgun wrote:Thanks for the advice folks - especially the safety advice.

So essentially, provided i keep to the essentials of heating, lighting and a few appliances (fridge/freezer, etc) i can get away with maybe a 6kV diesel generator, which i should get wired in professionally with a manual switch over.

That's about it! Except it is not 6kV - kilovolts ! It is Watts or VoltAmps - in DC terms they are identical but with complex AC power loadings and power factors they cannot be. Depending on brand you might see 5/5.5/6 kW or kVA those should be fine unless you have several big freezers for all those carcasses! Don't be tempted to drop down to the 3/3.5 kVA as a kettle will take 2.4 - 3 moving up to the 7.5 or 8 could be a waste of money.

Wiring in makes it safer and allows almost anyone to connect/disconnect - wife, (older) children, maid, butler &c. Any you will continue to have protection on all circuits in use.

Get a decent electrician (or 3) to tell you what they would do and cost for providing materials and connecting. If you then want you can send me a copy of their quotes and I can give them the once over. Or if you want, I can do you a short email with what they should be doing (suggestions) with circuit diagram and you put that to them - my rates would be reasonable ... a bottle of Balvenie, Aberlour or Glenlivet 18 yo next time I am up!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
EagerNoSkill

#16 Post by EagerNoSkill »

Watch for water in fuel containers
And why rats will chew any wire boggles my bracket

As I found out when i finally had use mine
Andy632

#17 Post by Andy632 »

Jenks wrote:
Andy632 wrote:I've got a 6kw Kipor Diesel which cost less than £700 and will run all night on a tankfull of red diesel. More than adequate for domestic emergency use.
Andy..

How long have you had it? And how is it connected to your ring mains?

Jenks
A few years now, can't really remember when I bought it.
When needed it's connected the wrong way. :oops:
However you can easily get an automatic transfer switch for them.( for a few bob more)
Jenks

#18 Post by Jenks »

As said earlier I have a problem with my Genny. It starts easily enough and will run beautifully with 110 volts selected. however when switching over to 230/240v it hunts bucks around.misfires before finally cutting out. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong. I have thought it over and decided that I can't justify the expense of replacing it. We only get one or two power cuts a year and they are normally fixed very quickly. I bought the machine new thirty years ago and used it to build two houses so it really owes me nothing, I am loathe to get rid of it, if it could be fixed at a reasonable cost. The Genny is a Honda EB 1900 with a four stroke petrol engine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jenks
Ovenpaa

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

Is it stuttering under load or immediately it is started when 240V is selected?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Jenks

#20 Post by Jenks »

ovenpaa wrote:Is it stuttering under load or immediately it is started when 240V is selected?
As soon as you switch from 110 to 240 it starts its nonsense.