The D2BD Phoennix range report

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: The D2BD Phoennix range report

#11 Post by Sandgroper »

Sim G wrote:I'm somewhat tickled by this!

I've never shot F class in my life! The problem is for me it seems to develop more into an arms race as happened with IPSC.... I want to be able to shoot with what I drag out of the cabinet.

I'm up for this next year! RPA in 7mm-08, off a Harris Bi-pod or my Condor rucksack......

"Shed Practical F-Class".

C'mon Grant, you've got a year to sort it.......
:lol: - Only a year, but no income! :o Seriously, though, I should be able to finance the major items soon - stock,reamer and dies. I already have the barrel and action, so it should be ready by the end of the year, if not sooner! fingerscrossed

The rifle itself will definitely in the spirit of Ovenpaa's Hunter F-Class (or Shed Practical F-Class ;) ) K98 Sporter action, 22 inch Douglas barrel, Boyds Featherweight TH stock with a 4-16x50 scope (second the honour system keeping it to x12 max) on top. Bi-pod will be some Harris derivative - all up weight about 4.5 - 5kg.

I'll keep you posted.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
John25

#12 Post by John25 »

I wonder how my number five would do on a short range F class target?

:shakeshout:
M99

#13 Post by M99 »

Why not - I am in too, got a couple of "sporters" that would do the job, one in 308 and the other in 6.5x55. Like Sim though, I would have to use the "honour" system or buy new scopes!

We should arrange a "monthly" practice shoot? - starting NOW!

Mike
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

I think it has to be totally down to honour, the rifle has to be light and the 'scope should be 12X or less and a Harris or Harris derivative. Rear squeeze bags allowed however the profile of the underside of the stock should not be modified nor should bag riders be allowed.

Any 'proper' full bore cartridge is acceptable and bonus street cred points for anyone shooting .303

Can we have a new F/S section? tongueout

EDIT - Mike, yes we do need to get out and have a practice meeting.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G

#15 Post by Sim G »

ovenpaa wrote:the rifle has to be light

How light is light.......?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would say 5Kg's ish scoped with a bipod is a reasonable weight, what did you have in mind?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G

#17 Post by Sim G »

I was hoping for a couple of kilos more....... Or, I'm shooting it with my Mini 14 or a 115 year old .32 Spl and irons!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

7Kgs! What did you have in mind?
/d

Shed Journal
Sim G

#19 Post by Sim G »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7kg's is not heavy! I always relate the weight of my guns with humping a GPMG, 400 rounds and other essentials around a very wet and cold Wales!!

I have an RPA inteceptor, Leupold Vari-X III with a Harris BR, all up just under 14.5lbs...... I'll take the muzzle brake off!

How heavy is that compared to standard F class rifles?

I tell you what though, you buggers will have to explain to the Mrs why I "have" to buy a new rifle and scope......!!! :55:

(and trust me, she really is scary!! zzzzom )

Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

F/TR is 8.25Kg's and F Open is 10Kg's limit, so F/S is.......... we need to decide on that tongueout

Yet again I have to say it is all open to interpretation of the 'rules' and F/S is as much a state of mind as a rifle and 'scope. Personally I really want to see someone wheel out a 'scoped .303 in the 4/5/600 class shooting cast boolits.
/d

Shed Journal