New Hatsan MP-A

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

saddler

Re: New Hatsan MP-A

#11 Post by saddler »

phaedra1106 wrote:Stottie cakes are never a problem, I now have the official export license in place to ship to all points North, West and even South of Geordie Land.

I'll take it to clay pigeon on Sunday and have a play with it, I don't think my neighbours would appreciate me setting up a few empty cans around the garden and practicing my target acquisition skills :lol:
You need to do what Jeff Cooper suggested - constantly "aim" at things that have an "O" in them to practice snap shooting target acquistion (I know you are in Co Durham, but when I say constantly I dont mean next time you've nipped down to Asda or the Market Square - folk tend to stare, even in Ch-le-St - and pointing is rude... :lol: )
What Cooper meant was - when sitting watching the glass toilet/idiot box of an evening - with a PROVED empty gat (possibly fitted with a snap-cap) constantly look for circular object, then when seen whip the front sight up to it as if its a snap target, charging rhinocerpigsaurus, etc.

Concentrate on the front sight...and if ya blow the back off the telly you've not done the correct clearance drills!!
Sim G

#12 Post by Sim G »

saddler wrote:You need to do what Jeff Cooper suggested - constantly "aim" at things that have an "O" in them to practice snap shooting target acquistion (I know you are in Co Durham, but when I say constantly I dont mean next time you've nipped down to Asda or the Market Square - folk tend to stare, even in Ch-le-St - and pointing is rude... :lol: )
What Cooper meant was - when sitting watching the glass toilet/idiot box of an evening - with a PROVED empty gat (possibly fitted with a snap-cap) constantly look for circular object, then when seen whip the front sight up to it as if its a snap target, charging rhinocerpigsaurus, etc.

Concentrate on the front sight...and if ya blow the back off the telly you've not done the correct clearance drills!!

Ape boy has it right! :good:
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
phaedra1106

#13 Post by phaedra1106 »

I'm afraid my "charging rhinocerpigsaurus" no longer lives here, I suppose I could practice on the kids and surprise them whenever they walk into the room . . . . . .
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
part451

#14 Post by part451 »

Having used my Hatsan MPA for PSG over the last two years it has never let me down, apart from not liking 65mm cartridges - it jams very nicely (so I don't use them). I have fired all sorts of rounds through it from 21grams, which cycled it, to 3" magnum slugs where the ejected cartridges landed 15 feet away! My only issue is cleaning it, to keep it working is a complete strip down after each outing; scrapping carbon fouling from the gas ports etc.
Primer

#15 Post by Primer »

phaedra1106 wrote: Got my second order of components on the way from Siarm so should have lots of slug rounds made up in time for the 28th. Even ordering small amounts it's working out around £50/100, that's at least 30% less than the cheapest retail I can get.
I would be interested in what shell cases, wads (are you using fibre or plastic), slugs, powder and powder load/weight you have brought/are using, i'm guessing siarm are ok to use, what sort of shipping prices do they charge?

I'm going to look at the Hatsan when i get my license through, what size magazine does yours have as looking at edgar brothers the website shows its only available in either 2+1 or 4+1, yet the youtube reviews i have seen mention 7+1 plus the ability to extend further using extension tubes for winchesters?

Would it workout any cheaper if you made your own slugs with a Lee slug mould and lead from a scrap yard and reloaded using used shell cases from the range, i only ask as i can get my hands on as many used cases as i want and i have a Lee loadall shotshell reloading station that i plan on putting to use to save some money on slug and buckshot rounds?

Thanks in advance

Simon
phaedra1106

#16 Post by phaedra1106 »

Hi :)

Siarm are excellent, ordinary shipping (Bartolini) takes about a week, TNT is a bit extra but only takes 4 days.

Prices depend on weight but they are cheap, last order was around 10Kg and cost €24 using TNT.

My load is as follows (all components bought from Siarm)

Case - Fiocchi T1 12 GA (12/70/08/Green-Bo/616/shived), cases are already primed.
Slug - Deer Cal.12 32gram rifled slug, 44x18.5 mm inc. built in plastic wad.
Powder - NobelSport GM3 19gr (Starting Load)
2mm Clear Closing Disk

I looked at the Lee slugs but for me the Brenneke type slugs with built in wads are easier, I did look at getting a Lee Load All II but from what I have read and been told by other shooters/reloaders who have been doing this a lot longer than me slugs are better roll crimped rather than fold crimped.

The MP-A semi auto (UK spec) comes in either Sec.2 2+1 or Sec.1 5+1 or 7+1 with a 24" barrel, I've no idea if the Remington extension tubes would fit but I'm sure I read somewhere they use a fairly common thread size. Have a good look round as prices vary quite a bit, I got mine from Roger Bill, Shooting Supplies for £439 + shipping, have a look on Guntrader.
Sim G

#17 Post by Sim G »

Don't how the fella who told you about the Lee Loadall got his experience, but it's poppy cock!

I've been loading slug for a few years now using the Load All. I cast Lee Slugs and use a new primed case everytime and a Claybuster wad, all for less than 20 quid a hundred!

Performance wise, mine will tear the black out of a 20 yard pistol target at 50.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

phaedra1106

#18 Post by phaedra1106 »

Interesting stuff :)

Does the fact I'm using slugs with a built-in wad instead of a Claybuster type wad/shot cup that has the slug inside it make a difference then?, I've got a box of Geco factory and they use the attached type slug+wad and are also roll crimped.

I asked Dogyrog about casting me some slugs and he reckoned on £12/100, the Siarm ones are around €32/100, the Deer slugs are these type,
Attachments
Slug.gif
Slug.gif (6.21 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
Primer

#19 Post by Primer »

Thanks for the info.

Are the ranges ok with plastic wads as a couple near me state fibre wad on the bird shot cartridges only, also what shot size are you using for birdshot?

I'm certainly interested in going the Lee slug route as i have a scrap metal yard only a few hundred metres from home to purchase the lead from.

Sim G what powder/primers and powder load are you using?

Thanks
Sim G

#20 Post by Sim G »

Jeff, I was given a couple or three hundred slugs just like you've pictured. I couldn't get the component tower right in order to use the star crimp of the LoadAll. So, I melted them down to cast Lee slugs from them!! I then discovered after loading a few that they were not made of pure lead, but an alloy....

So I'm making bullets for the lever guns from the metal!

Roger wants 12 quid per 100? If you think about it, that's a bloody good price. 100 slugs is over 6lbs of lead!

Primer, I'm using new Fiocci primed cases, the WAA12SL equivilent wad by Claybuster and HS6, Green Dot or Universay Clays powder.