snider re-barrel

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

Re: snider re-barrel

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

Surely the cartridge/chamber is obsolete regardless of when the firearm was assembled?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

Nope, modern reproduction firearms in obsolete calibres are section one.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sim G

#13 Post by Sim G »

dromia wrote:Nope, modern reproduction firearms in obsolete calibres are section one.
Exactly. All we need to decern is whether a modern barrel changes that.....

The 2002 Guidance only states "extensively modified". A new barrel an extensive modification? FEO said he really does hate me now.... He's got to shove the question up the chain.

Yep, the sleeping dog dug....... :oops:

Then as an aside, any guess on how much the value has dropped if hypothethically one day S58 and the next S1?

30%?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#14 Post by dromia »

Sim G wrote:
dromia wrote:Nope, modern reproduction firearms in obsolete calibres are section one.

The 2002 Guidance only states "extensively modified". A new barrel an extensive modification? FEO said he really does hate me now.... He's got to shove the question up the chain.

Yes and therein lies the dilemma. Having imported a firearm the "extensively modified" could be argued, however I think that having a barrel made in the UK for fitting to the rifle could be argued as having primacy and requiring a FAC. Also what would be the intended purpose of having a new barrel if not to shoot it therefore the intent would require an FAC.

I'm no lawyer, except in barracks, but I have tried to argue points in the past with success and failure in equal measure. At the end of the day legal precedent will ultimately define any interpretation. Whether anyone has enough spending money to risk the costs of establishing precedent is another matter.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#15 Post by dromia »

Sim G wrote:
Then as an aside, any guess on how much the value has dropped if hypothethically one day S58 and the next S1?

30%?
At least if not 50%, what did you pay for it originally?

If that sum was reasonable I would be glad to do you a favour and offer you 55% of the original cost and save you any grief. O:-) :grin: :twisted:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Sim G

#16 Post by Sim G »

dromia wrote:At least if not 50%, what did you pay for it originally?

If that sum was reasonable I would be glad to do you a favour and offer you 55% of the original cost and save you any grief. O:-) :grin: :twisted:

:55: :55: :55: :55:
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
dromia
Site Admin

#17 Post by dromia »

I should take that as a no then?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!