Original WW1 service rifles....show and tell

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Original WW1 service rifles....show and tell

#101 Post by snayperskaya »

Had an update regarding my 1917 Remington with the German ersatz bayonet adapter fitted that I thought I'd share........

According to a well known WWI militaria and Mosin collector and contributer to over two dozen related publications it is only the second Type II* bayonet adapter he has seen outside of a museum in over 30 years of collecting and researching and there are apparently very few in museums at that and it is very likely unique as the only all-matching original Remington M91 with one still fitted after over a century.

*It is referenced as the Type II adapter in Karl Heinz Wrobel's publication entitled Drei Linien volume I to differentiate between the more common, but still rare, Type I adapter and the Type III.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Blighty

#102 Post by Blighty »

As Yoda once said ‘There is another......’

Not having any bites so may have to get it back fro: The RFD who is trying to sell it for me.
snayperskaya

#103 Post by snayperskaya »

Blighty wrote:As Yoda once said ‘There is another......’

Not having any bites so may have to get it back fro: The RFD who is trying to sell it for me.
I think you should get it back too mate :good:

"The Turk" was the other that JPS was referring too.....

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Blighty

#104 Post by Blighty »

Don’t hate me. Had a very lovely trip to the ‘inner sanctum’ at the Leeds Armoury today. Handled a Type 1 ak47, 1895 musket plus early 1890’s M91s with flat rear sight leafs and fingers spurs. Forgot my specs which was a bit of a bummer. Need to get the Turk back!
snayperskaya

#105 Post by snayperskaya »

Blighty wrote:Don’t hate me. Had a very lovely trip to the ‘inner sanctum’ at the Leeds Armoury today. Handled a Type 1 ak47, 1895 musket plus early 1890’s M91s with flat rear sight leafs and fingers spurs. Forgot my specs which was a bit of a bummer. Need to get the Turk back!
Yes you do!!!.......and I don't hate you, little bit of envy maybe ;)

Were the 1890's M91's as nice as I imagine to be?, was one a 1891 by any chance?......any SVT-40's?

PeterN
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#106 Post by PeterN »

Berthier Model 1907_15.
Berthier full view.JPG
Berthier action right.JPG
Bertier action left.JPG
Regards
Peter
PeterN
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#107 Post by PeterN »

Model 1903 Siamese Mauser. These were made in Japan at the Tokyo arsenal between 1903 and 1908. They have a sliding dust cover that is operated manually and not as part of the bolt movement as in the Arisaka rifles. These were originally made in 8x50R. In 1923 the Siamese adopted the 8x52R cartridge and started to convert the 8x50R rifles to 8x52R. Not all rifles were converted. This rifle is one of the converted ones being in 8x52R. The rear sight base has been re-profiled for the new cartridge and so has cut off the range numbers that were for the 8x50R cartridge. Cases are non existent for this rifle but I have shot it using cases I made from 8x56R. I would like to find one in the original 8x50R but have never seen one.
Siamese Mauser right full.jpg
Siamese Mauser action right closed.jpg
Siamese Mauser rear sight.jpg
Regards
Peter.
PeterN
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#108 Post by PeterN »

The cases I made from 8x56R. The original case and two as fired from the rifle.
Siamese Mauser cases.jpg
Regards
Peter.
Justwatching

#109 Post by Justwatching »

Lebel 1886/93. Manufacture d'armes Chatellerault, 1918 dated.
Attachments
Lebel 2 Resize.jpg
Lebel Resize.jpg
PeterN
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#110 Post by PeterN »

I have been wanting one of those but not seen any for sale in a decent condition. I could have had one for £100 about 30 years ago but was not as interested then as I am now. That one had been hanging on a pub wall for 50 plus years and was heavily stained with nicotine from the smokers. There were no cases or ammunition available at the time and I wanted to shoot it. I think that one ended up getting deactivated. Where did you find yours as it looks in decent shape? Do you shoot it?
Regards
Peter.